finish for work bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I've had real fun this weekend resurrecting the second hand workbench I bought from my school when one of the woodwork rooms was refitted a few years ago (sadly the refitted room has now been closed down!). The bench is made from beech but I'm sure you can imagine the abuse it had taken in about 30 years of use. The top was scarred, graffited, had gouges scored in the surface and a fair few panel pins nailed in. I thought I would be able to plane it down but on closer inspection the damage was too great - my solution: take the bench top apart, turn the pieces over and put the well at the back instead of at the middle where it was originally. Then a few hours planing the thing level! I've started sanding it now but am thinking about the finish. Two questions:
1 - does it need to be finished?
2 - is Danish oil a suitable finish?
Thanks for any advice you may have.
Stewart
P.S. Does anyone else spend longer tinkering with the workshop than actually making anything?

stewart":qb02hucf said:
1 - does it need to be finished?
No but I would put a finish on.
2 - is Danish oil a suitable finish?
Yes, I used Liberon finishing oil which is similar to Danish oil.
Having a finish on the bench stops spills and splashes soaking in quickly, glue should not stick tight to the finish, so keeping your bench looking spick and span is easier. 8)
P.S. Does anyone else spend longer tinkering with the workshop than actually making anything?
All too often. :roll:

stewart":txa10qgn said:

Tell me about it!!!! :roll:

Just spent a happy weekend using polyurethane expanding foam to seal up all the gaps where my workshop roof joins the walls. (The workshop was originally built as a garage, so they deliberately left the gaps for air circulation).

I swear I ended up with more of the foam on me than in the gaps! (homer) To make matters worse, I ran out of foam before I finished, so am now waiting for a delivery from Screwfix so I can finish the job!

Regards

Gary

stewart":xz0rj3h8 said:

IMHO thats the most dangerous part of woodworking. I go out of my way to make projects and steer clear of workshop widgets, doobreys and jigs (where possible). It is hard to avoid making a "new and improved" chisel holder, a new and improved clamp holder, etc etc as soon as you've built anything in the workshop you can see how to improve it.

Adam

Back