Finish for western red cedar decking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I fitted my decking last year and was looking great until the coating just washed off. I used this stuff as recommended by the supplier but just wondered if there is anything better out there. The boards have weathered slightly so i need to bring to colour back

Cabot Australian Timber Oil for Hardwood Decks and Outdoor Furniture is a unique blend of oils originally formulated to protect popular dense woods in Australia such as tallowwood, cambara and merbau from the extreme exposures.

Now this technology is available as a proven translucent oil treatment for premium exotic hardwood surfaces for decks and outdoor furniture.

Australian Timber Oil will also produce beautiful results on all types of premium timber, including Western Red Cedar and pressure treated wood.

Australian Timber Oil penetrates deep into the dense, resin-rich hardwoods to accentuate natural wood depth and patina.

Containing a precise blend of superb-grade linseed oil for maximum pentration, long-oil alkyds for durability and pure South American tung oil for colour depth and water repellency, Australian Timber Oil delivers three-way oil protection.

In addition, complex translucent iron oxide pigments are added to ensure a lasting U.V. - absorbing surface rich with colour and dimension.

The result after years of development is an advanced technology treatment of unrivalled performance designed to protect you deck or outdoor furniture like never before.

Thanks

Andy

I had a red cedar deck at our house in Lexington and the finish only lasted a couple of years before needing to be done again - combination of high traffic and crud from the main road that ran past the house. I used a low pressure washer with some decking cleaner to clean it all up then a Thomson's oil-based sealant with red cedar colour additive. The oil was linseed (going by the smell) and took 48 hours to dry, which was very annoying as the deck was off our back entrance!

Back