Finish for sycamore

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodernhift

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of making a small chest of drawers from some sycamore but would like to keep it as light as possible. My normal oil finish will darken the wood, I know that Osmo do a wax oil with a white tint but have never used it befor ( I have used normal Osmo on many things befor). Has any one successfully kept sycamore white? Thanks.

Liberon finishing oil doesn’t affect the colour much and is pretty tough. Top off with Briwax.

Normal OSMO did not keep as light as I wanted. I tested the osmo raw, which contains a pigment, but I was not brave enough to use on the whole piece.

Sycamore coffee table in OSMO clear
8636371C-76D4-4411-9185-1FCDAAB3583E.jpeg

Unfinished next to sample finished in Osmo.
D1B80BC5-EF90-4A26-B360-A73772BBB396.jpeg

I’m currently making my workbench in the same wood and want to keep it lighter so I’ll be watching with interest.

Fitz.

de-waxed shellac is good for keeping things light/natural, it will only very slightly darken it especially if it's a thin mix like 1/2 lb cut or thinner.

I've done several sycamore table tops with Osmo. It looks good and stays that way - very pale colour a bit like fresh uncooked pastry.

I remember many years ago that I used a water based lacquer on a desk. It looked like watered-down p a in the tin but when de nibbled and waxed it looked as though the timber had no finish...... Very impressive.

Ps. Osmo oil? 🤢🤮

I've used the waterbased floor varnish. probably Ronseal. Good protection and as someone above said no change to the colour of the wood.

Hi, I am thinking of making a small chest of drawers from some sycamore but would like to keep it as light as possible. My normal oil finish will darken the wood, I know that Osmo do a wax oil with a white tint but have never used it befor ( I have used normal Osmo on many things befor). Has any one successfully kept sycamore white? Thanks.
I used from memory a super blond shellac from workshop heaven, did a great job and funnily enough just about to make something else and will be using it again.

The appearance of raw wood is a combination of two components: the natural colour of the wood and the surface micro-roughness ( finer than can be seen by eye). The surface roughness gives a lighter appearance as if viewing the natural wood through a slightly milky screen. Any surface finish ( probably every finish) that wets out this surface roughness will make the overall appearance that of the natural wood colour and somewhat darker than without it. Many finishes contain some darker components and will add this to the change in appearance. Just wet the surface with water and see the effect that has. It might be possible to restore the whiteness by using a water-clear finish and then lightly sanding, but you will have to try that for yourself.

I've used Osmo Raw it works well on lighter woods (birch ply etc) it won't keep it exactly like the raw wood but it's closer than Osmo Clear. You can get tester sachets I would recommend one of those first on a test piece.

I'll check in work next week. Osmo, as I'm sure you know, do an entire range of tints and whatnot. Some of these are far stronger than others, as in if you leave it too long it will make the wood look like it is painted white as opposed to held at it's natural hue. But anyway I tested a bunch and there is one in particular that works perfectly with sycamore to preserve its natural whiteness. I'll find the product number and get it to you on Monday.

I have had good success with acrylic sealer and lacquer applied by cloth. Never used it on sycamore but very good on white ash with almost no colour change

Whilst at night school at Ryecotewood Furniture College many years ago I made an occasional table out of rippled sycamore. I finished it with a varnish wipe made from 50% water based acrylic varnish with UV protection and 50% mineral spirits. 3 coats applied with a sponge brush then 2 coats of clear wax. It hasn't yellowed a bit in nearly 20 years. This guide is useful:

Attachments

• WoodFinishingGuide.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back