Finish for small boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
I'm just making a few small boxes as test pieces of my vague competence and since one of them isn't far from being constructed I started to think about finish. All I have available at the moment is some shellac and Osmo Clear Satin. I was thinking of using the Osmo but obviously that sinks into the wood rather than being like shellac that is more of a coating.

What other types of finish would be suitable? Nothing too glossy though, I don't like glossy. Also need to be easy to apply.

ps also got some beeswax.

That’s quite a broad question.

A wiping varnish - Make Your Own Oil/Varnish Blend is easy to apply.

I am a big fan of hard wax - Alfie Shine from Workshop Heaven which you build up in layers.

Another favourite is Peacock Oil from Skelton Saws.

What wood are you working with?

Cheers

That’s quite a broad question.

A wiping varnish - Make Your Own Oil/Varnish Blend is easy to apply.

I am a big fan of hard wax - Alfie Shine from Workshop Heaven which you build up in layers.

Another favourite is Peacock Oil from Skelton Saws.

What wood are you working with?

Cheers

First one is bog oak, quarter sawn oak, and ripple sycamore. Next one is swiss pear, purpleheart, and wenge.

Yes was a bit broad, but just wanted to get some rough ideas. I have plenty of scrap I can use to test things out.

I have no experience of bog oak but would err towards wiping varnish or wax for oak. Sycamore will be prone to yellowing if you use oil so again I would use wax.

Swiss Pear, Purpleheart and Wenge are all good candidates for an oil based finish.

It’s definitely a good idea to do a bit of experimenting!

Cheers

I have no experience of bog oak but would err towards wiping varnish or wax for oak. Sycamore will be prone to yellowing if you use oil so again I would use wax.

Swiss Pear, Purpleheart and Wenge are all good candidates for an oil based finish.

It’s definitely a good idea to do a bit of experimenting!

Cheers

I read the article you linked and see the issue with having different categories of timber in the same project! Obviously having to mix wax and oil in the same project to bring out the best in some woods whilst avoiding discolouring others would be a royal PITA.

I might do this lot with the Osmo and then buy some wax and some oil finishes and practice with them for future projects.

Alfie wax also smells beautiful Bill. It seems pricey but it goes a long way.

Alfie wax also smells beautiful Bill. It seems pricey but it goes a long way.

Yeah just been watching a few videos about it and does seem like a really good product. So many options! I'm trying to make things quite simple for myself and just find one good all-round finish for small boxes that I can use whatever wood I pick. I'm now erring towards using the super-blonde shellac I've got prepared but I need a decent brush.

there is wisdom in not using beeswax, a decent hardwax is much more suited to anything that's handled, beeswax is often too soft and leaves fingerprints.

I usually finish all boxes with de-waxed shellac, 2 or 3 layers and no wax at all.

Back