Finish for oak door casing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orval

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making an oak door casing at the moment. This is my first project like this and I know naff all about finishing. I've been Googling about but I can't find many resources for this.

As far as I can work out, the choices are: wax, oil, hard waxoil, polyurethane varnish, some-other-kind-of-varnish.

I'm thinking hard waxoil, perhaps Blanchon (natural -- I'm not after staining it.)

I'll also be doing some skirting boards soon, so preferably I want the same finish on both.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Orval

Osmo PolyX oil would be my first choice. Widely used on floors so pretty bulletproof, and if you're using for skirting it will need to be hard wearing because of scuffs from vacuum cleaners, brooms, mops etc.

Does it darken the wood like other oils? I have some Oak veneered doors that need finishing but we don't want them much darker than they are untreated.

woodpig":210m04bi said:
Does it darken the wood like other oils? I have some Oak veneered doors that need finishing but we don't want them much darker than they are untreated.

Yes, it does a bit. It's always desperately difficult to get a clear uncoloured finish. Why not contact Terry at Chestnut oils? If anyone knows he will. I saw him demo a sanding sealer finish followed by wax at the Yandles spring show and it didn't seem to colour the wood. I'll be interested to hear the answer myself!

Putting the stock through the planer I notice the grain is quite open.

Would you recommend I use grain filler? If so, what brand would you recommend?

RogerM":2neqmti2 said:
Why not contact Terry at Chestnut oils? If anyone knows he will.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP, and want a finish for my oak doors which will not darken or change the colour.

I've googled Chestnut Oils but it just takes me to an Internal Error message. Do you know if Terry/Chestnut oils are still about and if so how I might get in contact with him?

Cheers

I usually do 2 coats of sanding sealer then a quick denib with oooo wire wool then put the wax on with 0000 wire wool aswell then just buff up. i find its the closest to a natural colour on oak.

Its 0000 grade wire wool very fine, iv done quite a few stairs this way. The wire
Wool has no effect on the oak as it has been sealed with sanding sealer.

Well if you try some 0000 on scrap piece you will see it doesnt mark it, an
Like i said in the post you are not directly on the oak as the sanding sealer
Has put a clear coat on it.

Back