Finish for Oak dining table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
I need advice for the most suitable finish for an Oak dining table, something that would take a bit of heat if a hot bowl or plate is put on it, also able to withstand moisture (there are children present)

Thanks.
Andy

Liberon finishing oil takes some beating IMO but sure many will say Osmo just not a fan myself.

Beau":3lbbjqts said:
Liberon finishing oil takes some beating IMO but sure many will say Osmo just not a fan myself.

Osmo.

Never used the Liberon stuff but I used Osmo on my last project on the recommendation of forum members and I love it. Get a 125ml sample and try it (a little goes a long way).

Matt

Do you have any wants as far as the look of the finish goes Andy?

And how much waterproofing are you aiming for? I.e. does the finish need to be able to withstand standing water in case a spill doesn't get mopped up, or just water resistant enough that you won't very quickly get a damp stain from sweaty drinks glasses?

Water probably won't be the main problem with the finishes you're likely to consider. Fruit juice and red wine are the real problems.

Osmo will resist them for a good few minutes, but I've done tests with some cr@ppy water based pu varnishes that saw the wood stained in under a minute! The difference between brands is pretty startling. If you really want a bomb proof surface you need to think about two part finishes, nothing else can really compare to the level of protection that something like Rustins Plastic Coating delivers. Otherwise I'd suggest thinking about a finish that's easy to remove and re-apply every couple of years...or when the kids have grown up!

Good luck!

Back