Finish for Oak Bathroom Vanity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilfage

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m building a solid oak vanity for a bathroom for some friends of mine. They are very particular about the finish and I’m concerned about it’s longevity. They want a finish that doesn’t change the colour of the oak at all and has to be completely Matt. I’ve been looking at osmo raw, it seems to fit the bill but I’m concerned of it’s ability to withstand standing water on it. I really don’t want any water stains creeping through over time. Anyone any alternatives to the above? I have bought some and tested it. The colour/finish is perfect, I just wondered if there were any alternatives out there. Thanks in advance!

I have a job next week which is a vanity unit, it is in fact a Louis XV walnut commode with the top converted to take two wash basins, whoever converted it must have used a wax finish, it is covered in water stains and looks awful. I would normally use Osmo to refinish something like this but the job is a long way from home and for a difficult celebrity client!! The job has to be started and finished in a day so my first thought was to use a two pack lacquer but I think I would get arrested if I used that on site! So I have decided to use Ronseal diamond hard matt varnish, I can get two or if needed three coats on in the day, then cut it back and wax which will give a satin finish that will hopefully stand the test of time.
If you have time I think Osmo Polyx will be your best bet, I have used the raw on a kitchen worktop once and after only a few months it was covered in water stains, however lots of people on this forum will swear by it! Bear in mind that any matt finish will end up with shiny areas over time where it gets handled.

I tried a few different finishes on an Oak bathroom vanity top I have and all suffered watermarks, would probably have been fine if it was just me using it but the kids aren't as careful. Ended up using some external poly varnish which works but doesn't look as nice.

A few months ago I made a couple of small external Oak benches and finished them with some Ronseal external varnish which was water based, it looked totally clear when dry. I wasn't expecting much but 6 months on and they still look fine, even the horizontal surfaces, if it is okay out in all weathers for 6 months I'm sure it would be okay on a vanity top.

I tried a few different finishes on an Oak bathroom vanity top I have and all suffered watermarks, would probably have been fine if it was just me using it but the kids aren't as careful. Ended up using some external poly varnish which works but doesn't look as nice.

A few months ago I made a couple of small external Oak benches and finished them with some Ronseal external varnish which was water based, it looked totally clear when dry. I wasn't expecting much but 6 months on and they still look fine, even the horizontal surfaces, if it is okay out in all weathers for 6 months I'm sure it would be okay on a vanity top.
I tried your recommendation on some small beaded oak doors I’ve made for a Bathroom basin cabinet and I’m pleased with the results, thank you. Nice finish without brush marks or masking of the grain, but it took the instructed 3 coats to achieve. I was going to use osmo but wanted something a bit more bullet proof and from your experience think it should wear well ! Thanks again. Alex.

I would use Osmo on oak for many things but for a bathroom vanity you will have to laquer it with a film finish to stand a chance of keeping it looking good.
The issue with a full matt varnish/ laquer is that it will wear shiny as its cleaned and used over time.

Ollie

In my experience osmo raw looks great, but offers very little protection from water marks. It doesn’t seem to build a hard skin like osmo top oil or the normal osmo.
But then again it’s very Matt and pretty clear. If they are concerned about darkening the oak, or oranging I would do some experiments with white tinted oil, satin. Osmo make one that’s more re tinted with white pigment, or others will sell you the tint separately and allow you to mix, and also mix your own level of gloss ve Matt oils and sell a separate hardener (hesse lignal for example)

I’ve been using the three part mix of tung oil/ exterior satin varnish / white spirit to good effect though ive not thoroughly tested it for good water resistance. A high proportion of the varnish would increase that though.

Back