Finish for kitchen knife handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobblezard

1 step forward, 2 back, 2 forward - rest - repeat
Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this ones been covered before but does anyone have any recommendations for a finish for a kitchen knife handle?
I've replaced the handle on my sisters favourite knife with yew and so far have given it a few coats of danish oil but was wondering about melamine laquer but I'd be interested in any recommendations. This will not go in the dishwasher but will need to resist washing in warm water and a bit of detergent.

Abby's knife small.jpg

This is it

Attachments

• Abby's knife small.jpg
    Abby's knife small.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 140
I rehandled a similar knife with wild plum. Gave it a few wipes over with walnut oil. Nothing more. Still good a few years later. It gets topped up with oil and grease in normal use :lol:

Walnut oil is one of the few food oils that dries, so a good choice.
In normal use a wipe with olive oil would keep it nice.

Thanks for the replies, that's reassuring. I've never really used walnut oil but I'll get some and give it a go. Does it take a while to dry off like say tung oil?

bobblezard":37216iuh said:
Thanks for the replies, that's reassuring. I've never really used walnut oil but I'll get some and give it a go. Does it take a while to dry off like say tung oil?

Seems to be pretty quick drying.

Hard wax oil works well, and easy to top up
Tru oil gives a much more resistant finish, but isn’t worth buying just for one handle.
Food grade linseed oil, commonly sold as flaxseed oil, also works well and is easy to top up, plus is handy in the kitchen for seasoning pans as well as making good salad dressing.

I’d avoid surface coatings as they’ll soon get damaged and are harder to top up. Plus can be slippery when wet which isn’t great in a kitchen.

5 minute epoxy works well on fishing lures but really needs running in the lathe at slow speed whilst it dries to give a super smooth finish

Back