Finish for English Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treds1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm nearly at the finishing stage for a small side table constructed from English Walnut, but am unsure as to which finish to use can anyone recommend a good finish (I'm not looking for anything to glossy).

Regards

Nick

Polyx is OK but I have to say I am not a big fan of it for furniture. Having done some side by side testing I find that lack of clarity in the can does translate into some reduction of that all important qualty, lustre, compared with a nice clear Danish oil, shellac or pre-catalysed lacquer. One of these would be my choice depending on how robust the finish needs to be for the environment in which it will be used - shellac, low protection, pre-cat, high with Danish somewhere in between. Another high performance option is old fashioned oil based polyurethane, which is much underrated.

Jim

Thanks for the advise, i'm leaning towards a Danish oil or similar finish as I can get hold of it easily locally. Will post some finished pictures when its all done.

Cheers

Nick

yetloh":egim0wm9 said:
Polyx is OK but I have to say I am not a big fan of it for furniture. Having done some side by side testing I find that lack of clarity in the can does translate into some reduction of that all important qualty, lustre, compared with a nice clear Danish oil, shellac or pre-catalysed lacquer. One of these would be my choice depending on how robust the finish needs to be for the environment in which it will be used - shellac, low protection, pre-cat, high with Danish somewhere in between. Another high performance option is old fashioned oil based polyurethane, which is much underrated.

Jim
Probably correct Jim, if you're after a satin type of finish which most folks seem to like...I don't, so that's why I go for the matt Osmo-PolyX which can then be buffed to a slight lustre with the application of a little decent wax over the top. If you haven't tied the matt version, it might be worth a punt? - Rob

Back