Finish for childrens puzzles & toys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I am erring on the side of not doing childrens toys at all

I guess it depends on what a puzzle is described as or perceived as being, is a puzzle an ornament or something else ?

I am also thinking of leaving any simple puzzles in bare wood and leave the finish out of it completely

graduate_owner":1t3uxw3w said:
I wonder if you could sell toys in kit form with instructions for adults to assemble them. Would that bypass the stringent regulations, or at least some of them, by shifting the responsibility on to the adult who does the assembly?

K

I think that veering away from childrens' toys is a safe way to proceed. Sad, isn't it? I understand the need for safety in toys, especially when you read horror stories about sharp pieces coming loose from toys for toddlers etc ( usually far east imports or fake copies), but sad all the same.
K

When i first started cutting i intended to do toys, but quickly got dragged down by the legislation. It is unfair when places like poundland sell the cheapest most dangerous tat on the planet for kids. It does seem like just a red tape exercise rather than actually ensuring safety. I seem to remember that the usa proposed similar checks but were lobbied against it by craftsmen. Perhaps when we finally leave the EU there would be a chance for a change but i cant see it.

The main thing to cover is the risk of choking hazard rather than the finish used as long as it's one certified as child safe by the manufacturer/distributor.

From this previous thread on the subject.

In the United States, the Child Safety Protection Act requires warning labels on packaging for toys containing small parts. A tool called the small parts test fixture is used to measure toy parts. It is a cylinder tube that is 1.25 inches in diameter and between 1 and 2.25 inches deep. It is designed to mimic a child's mouth and pharynx. Any object that fits in the tube is considered a small part and must have a label on its packaging indicating it is a choking hazard for small children.

SmallPartsTestFixture.jpg

Frustrating lack of UK information.

BSI Education uses same dimensions but the following link previously referred to is no longer valid.
http://www.bsieducation.org/Education/1 ... linder.pdf

Back