Finish for changing room benches.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart.grimshaw

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just finished giving the changing rooms at my local club a kick of paint, and to finish off the project I want to refinish the benches.

The room is used by both footballers and crickets and the cricketers boots in particular are tough on the wood.

What hard wearing, waterproof finish would you recommend?

0F79AE41-4262-4050-86CF-9DBF8BAB79AC.jpeg

I’d osmo them as won’t flake and easy to top up when needed. Cures to a dry finish so don’t have to worry about any transfer to clothing etc

If it's used by footballers -
How about 6 inches of Titanium / rubber laminate.( you might think about padding the walls as well )
Failing that you may be able to pick up some redundant armour plate from military disposal
But well done for helping your local club out.

Has the wood already got a finish on as depending what you use any existing coating might need removing back to bare wood?

I'm with @Jameshow and would go old school with a couple of good thick coats of polyurethane varnish, seems somehow authentic in a footballers changing room.

To pack floor finishes are a good solution - almost as good as my previous suggestion.
Floors get heavy traffic over many years, so a few coats could resist most "abuse" - even footballers !

Back