Finish for ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have just finished a cofee table made out of american white ash.
And would like advice on what finish to use. The finish i am after will have to be durable, mat, and not look to placticy. Want somthing that wont make the grain stand out to much.

Would like to be able to apply with cloth or sponge as usless with a paint brush.

The table is going into a small central heated house by a window, so it will be exposed to direct sunlight and high heat

Thanks inadvance for any help

Simuk

Hi Simuk
You are asking a lot of a finish-not plasticy, take a lot of stick and sit in the sun!
Most finsihes involve some compromise-i.e. shellac is a beautiful clear natural finish but not the best if you're going to drip hot coffee over it!
I have finished two pieces I made from ash with danish oil (Colron, I think is was). Three coats then rubbed out with steel wool left a lovely natural satin finish, which is also quite durable. Anything left in the sun a lot will be affected by the rays-this can change the colour, amongst other things.
Maybe thinned down poly would be good for you-it is hardwearing, and if you put it on right shouldn't look to plasticky.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

Ash has a strong tendency to develop a very fierce grainy appearance with many finishes/stains

I used the Patina finish that has been favourably mentioned here in this forum on my last project with ash - it came out much as I wanted as shown here:-

box_mitre_2.sized.jpg

However, experience and good advice showed me that I had to rub it in much harder than I did on my first use of this product (when I was not impressed) .

All in all, very easy to apply and durable

simuk":74tdhwtb said:
I have just finished a cofee table made out of american white ash.
So have I. :)

034coffeetable.JPG

I used Patina, and as Chris says, you need to apply it fairly sparingly and buff it out hard. If you need to, I've found a neutral wax applied with a fine non-woven abrasive sucessfully cuts back any plastic-iness. With ash though, the open grain largely forestalls that; it's one of my favourite finishes for ash now. A search on it in the archive will bring up quite a bit on various people's experiences with it.

Cheers, Alf

simuk i made a coffee table with iroko i used patina for the finish the wife put a flower vase on it and put it by the window ,now we have a table with a nice light ring on the top .if you must put your table by a window cover it with a small table cloth or it will bleach

ps i bet norman or the restorer have redone a few bits that have been in the sun .

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I Have decided to join the patina users club and applied the first coat today. Will post pics of finished result when i work out how to post pics. :lol:

Simuk

aragon it was a good few coats , philly yes your right but on the photo my lad took it looks like a water mark

simuk":39d1epzf said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I Have decided to join the patina users club
Simuk

Me too :) I use Ash a lot and Alf and Chri's posts tempted me enough to try it :wink: Should arrive Monday if screwfix keep their promises

Hello everyone

Have some american walnut sections in my coffee table, and have come across a problem. After sanding the walnut sections i used a tact cloth to wipe the table and then used a cloth with white spirit to clean table. Applied the patina finish. and i am left with white specks on the walnut. Thought the problem might be that i never got rid of all the sandiest before applying the patina, So rub it down and repeated the process and ended up with the same result :?: .

The specs are mainly on the end grain of the walnut.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Alf in the picture of your coffee table the finish does not look no where near as yellow as mine or waterhead37, was that because of
neutral wax applied with a fine non-woven abrasive.

Frank sorry to hear about the ring and thanks for the warning.

Simuk

simuk":3ndl28wf said:
Alf in the picture of your coffee table the finish does not look no where near as yellow as mine or waterhead37, was that because of
neutral wax applied with a fine non-woven abrasive.
Doubt it; more like the nature of the ash I used. It's a lot paler than any I've had before.

My experience of walnut is next to zero, so I'll leave that one to more experienced responders.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Simuk

That sort of cross contamination is quite a common problem in marquetry. The way we get round it is to apply sanding sealer before we start sanding. Sanding sealer is a fluid that dries clearly and it blocks the open pores of wood so that no dust from differently coloured woods can enter.

Perhaps you could apply some sanding sealer to your piece, then lightly scrape (or sand) away the contaminated areas?

Gill

Hi Gill,

Used sanding sealer at the start, put one coat on then rub down before using patina.

Ash%20Coffee%20Table.GIF

Blimey my picture is there, it was easier to make the table than it was to
get this picture to appear. :D

Thanks

Simuk

Simuk

I expect the service doesn't allow direct linking. Also there is something odd with the file name. It is a gif image but that does not appear as en extension in the file properties. If you include the gif extension in your message there is a page not found error. This might be the way Tinypic controls things.

Nice table anyway! I lke the joints, they look very well done.

Simuk,

No Idea why the picture does not load. :(
No idea how to fix your finishing problem. :(

But I love that Table, please post some more pictures when you get it finished off. :D

Thanks Dave & Waterhead

Cant take the credit for the desighn as spotted in a woodworking mag, cannot remember the name of the mag but will dig it out if anyone is interested. In the magazine they made a desk out of walnut with, maple keys which looked lovely. Decided to make smaller version out of ash to keep the price down and need a coffee table. I like the fact that it was fairly simple to make & is a nice and chunky piece .
Seemed to go through loads of magazines & surfing the net, before i found anything that appealed to me to make, so when i came across this desighn it was a real bonus.

Now back to surfing the net and trawling through them mags again, for my next project.
Went in MFI yesterday total waste of time, nothing inspired me only disgusted me :evil: .

Simuk

Well, Screwfix delivered on time. Tried out the on Patina some Ash and a piece of mahogany tonight and very impressed - easy to use and looks lovely.

Just need to establish how tough it is now.
Any comments? Alf? Chris? other users?

Tony,

I'm not sure how tough it is as I haven't put any wear on the box, so to speak. Andy made a great dining table and used it on that and the finish has withstood family life and small children.

Back