Finish for a chopping board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just made a chopping board and a cheese board, and have now realised I don't know what is the best finish for them! I have an unopened bottle of boiled linseed oil - will that do, or do I need another trip to the suppliers??

best wishes - Roy

Roy that will do,
I use Organoil which is Tung Oil with what smells like citrus oils, its food safe and easy to apply.

Bean

Or just plain old fashioned tung oil.

Could always leave them unfinished, i believe that the resin in the timber kills the germs.

Matt.

I gather BLO contains all sorts of nasties in lieu of actually boiling the stuff these days, so perhaps not the best choice. I'd leave them unfinished myself; as Gary says, wood chopping boards have been proved to actually zap bacteria and such.

Cheers, Alf

I'm with Alf. A good chopping board will last for years without a finish. If it starts to look ugly, try rubbing it with walnut oil (as used in salad dressings :eek: ) to give it a bit of conditioning.

Gill

If you do go for an oil at any point, just make sure it's non toxic. Tung oil is a pure nut oil which is safe, also Liberon Finishing Oil is non toxic.

Paul

The only potential problem with nut based oils on food projects is that some people are alergic to nuts! I'm not rteally sure how this pans out in reality, but I saw it mentioned with reference to babies rattles, it might just be worth bearing in mind.

Les

The only potential problem with nut based oils on food projects is that some people are alergic to nuts!

Good point Les, i hadn't even thought of that, not something that sprongs to mind, but you have to be carefull these days.

I'd leave them unfinished myself; as Gary says, wood chopping boards have been proved to actually zap bacteria and such

Who's Gary? First piece of advise i post on here and you get my name wrong. :x I feel like a second rate citizen. :x :x :x

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt.

Hiya, Matt,

Don't worry, mate, I know you're not second rate. :wink: :lol:

And good advice you gave, too.

Cheers,

Trev.

(Woss all that Latin - can you translate it for me?)

thanks for the support in my hour of need trev. Am learning to cope with the rejection now tho. :lol:

Matt :p

My pleasure, Matt. And don't look on it as rejection, consider it to be the start of your celebrity on UKworkshop! =D>

And the Latin - it's much too late for me to try to work out that.

Cheers,

Trev.

Ach, there I go again. 'Pologies, Matt. That's the trouble with typing two different messages at once. #-o Noel and Neil will tell you it's nothing personal - I went throught a phase of confusing them too. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

trevtheturner":771s67r4 said:
Woss all that Latin - can you translate it for me?
"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" I believe. Sorry for the delay, I was adjusting me toga... :D

Cheers, Alf

Well done Alf,

For getting the latin right, you are now forgiven. That was a lucky escape :lol:

That is a really good point about the nuts.

You can never be too carefull with your nuts. :shock:

Matt.

Latest posts

Back