Finish advice for purple heart bookcase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I managed to score some purple heart out of the local wood recycler which, after a lot of work, is now coming together as a bookcase. I didn't have quite enough, so the back panels are veneered MDF on which I have had to use a stain to bring in line with the rest of the wood. I've also applied a (very much) watered down stain to bring all the wood to a similar appearance. This now looks great (despite my reservations about the stain) and I really don't want to wreck it by slopping on the wrong finish. The stain is water based and is also watered down. Any suggestions on the varnish / lacquer / any other front. While the wood is (very) hard wearing, I would still like a tough finish.
Cheers

Hi BigPaul,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Nice one to get purple heart for free and quite a bit by the sound of it. 8) I have never made any with this timber but I understand that it does tend to change colour as it ages, this is usually due to the uv. I have been recommended to use water base varnish on some sycamore I am using to help stop it yellowing due to this, so it might be a good choice for your book case.

Can I ask where you are? We have members right round the globe now and it is nice to know if your 'local' or not. :^o

bigpaul,

Just bear in mind that toughness and repairability are usually mutually exclusive. Think toughness OR repairability

For the former, its hard to beat acid catalysed lacquers and the like, for the latter, shellac reigns supreme.

Actually a bookcase doesn't need a tough finish unlike a table say and shellac is ideal. Just wipe it on with a pad (don't worry about French polishing - you will be doing a very pseudo form of it in fact) and a couple of coats look great.

You don't say what your veneer is but it might need grain filling first - or be prepared to wipe on lots of coats.

FWIW you can apply just about any finish over shellac.

Hi BigPaul

I agree with Waterhead on this one. Most of the people I see would use a shellac sanding sealer (applied with a medium hair polishing mop, a Zorino or Furd mop, as a squirrel is usually too soft). Build up the sealer, then using 0000 wire wool (Liberon make the finest 0000) apply a good quality high solids carnauba wax paste to the surface. Doing this the wire wool will force the wax into the sealer giving you a superb silky satin finish.

This way you get a traditional looking finish whilst having a (fairly) durable coating.

As it's a bookcase I would not think an A/C would be neccesary, (repro bookcases are only ever finished with basic old technology cellulose) although if I was to recommend a two pack it would be a two pack polyurethane as they are far superior.

Good Luck!!

BigPaul
I have used Patina on Purpleheart-gives a real nice finish and brings out the colour. Bit of an arm ache applying it but well worth it ans very hardwearing. Got mine from Screwfix.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Is Purpleheart also known as Palisander or are they different specie?

Ike

what a time for my internet connection to play up. Thanks for the replies, peeps. I'm currently looking into the benefits of shellac and patina and will hopefully make a descision in due course. As for the piccies, waka, when I've finally managed to get the thing finished, and if I can work out how to post pictures, I'll put some up - but don't hold your breath... the speed I work at, it'll be several years before I manage to get round to it! :D

Latest posts

Back