Finger (Gory pic alert)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
This is from the accident I had on Tuesday with a friends planer/thicknesser.
As you can see I came off second best.
Whist the finger still looks nasty it seems to be a heck of a lot better and is healing well.
I need to go back to get it cleaned and redressed again on Tuesday.

finger 1.jpg

finger 2.jpg

finger 3.jpg

finger 4.jpg

Attachments

• finger 1.jpg
    finger 1.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 887
  • finger 2.jpg
    finger 2.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 864
  • finger 3.jpg
    finger 3.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 865
  • finger 4.jpg
    finger 4.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 904
I did the same thing a couple of years back. It will grow back, I thought I would have a sort flat end to my finger, but it looks completely normal now.

I don't have a thicknesseser/planer combo machine anymore, I use a jointer plane instead :)

My mistake was edge jointing a piece that was really way too long for the little Titan I was using, and with the guard being back a bit for the edge jointing, I lost track of one of my fingers as I was trying to support the full board.

Bodgers":6ae8nens said:
I did the same thing a couple of years back. It will grow back, I thought I would have a sort flat end to my finger, but it looks completely normal now.

I don't have a thicknesseser/planer combo machine anymore, I use a jointer plane instead :)

My mistake was edge jointing a piece that was really way too long for the little Titan I was using, and with the guard being back a bit for the edge jointing, I lost track of one of my fingers as I was trying to support the full board.

It's so easily done.

My first major accident doing woodwork, I feel ever so proud :D

Why did you do that? You must have known it was going to hurt. :lol:

Seriously, get well soon, and for goodness sake don't let that get infected.

MikeG.":2mfhpugg said:
Why did you do that? You must have known it was going to hurt. :lol:

Seriously, get well soon, and for goodness sake don't let that get infected.

For something that took a fraction of a second to do I can hold hand on heart and say it still hurts now on the 5th day. :( Could of been a lot worse, imagine if it had been the picky nose finger :shock:

You were quite lucky really to get away with just the tip, could've been a lot worse if you'd put your hand down on it or if the knives were poking out of the block more it could've pulled your finger in a bit more. Should heal rather nicely so long as you keep it clean!

Out of curiosity, you don't know what brand exactly this PT was?

Trevanion":2gpouymj said:
You were quite lucky really to get away with just the tip, could've been a lot worse if you'd put your hand down on it or if the knives were poking out of the block more it could've pulled your finger in a bit more. Should heal rather nicely so long as you keep it clean!

Out of curiosity, you don't know what brand exactly this PT was?

Not sure to be honest, my friend is visiting here on Monday so i will ask him.

You are right, and in a strange sort of way I do feel I escaped the preverbial bullet with it. One thing is certain and that is I will go no where near that machine let alone use it myself, to say it has scared me is an understatement.

Ouch!

I took the tip of my little finger 95% off with a plane but the manual kind, let me finger brush against it while clearing shavings, very silly. Took a long time to get full feeling back in it.

Rorschach":1cgef3wd said:
I took the tip of my little finger 95% off with a plane but the manual kind, let me finger brush against it while clearing shavings, very silly. Took a long time to get full feeling back in it.

That story reminds me of the time a friend in college managed to stick himself with about 1" of stanley knife in the side of his hand when he was sweeping shavings off his bench. Always look in the shavings first!

wish I could unsee that :eek: wishing you a speedy recovery, doesn't look nice, take care of yourself (hammer)

Bodgers":2xde8dpl said:

Out of interest do you have feeling in your finger tip?

I took the top off one of my knuckles filleting a fish about two months ago and decided not to listen to my wife, instead of going to A&E I just bandaged it. It's healed but I have absolutely no feeling in it.

I guess this is the downside of being able to buy something finger chopping dangerous and use it straight away with no supervision. When I was an apprentice I spent hours on the outfeed of machines apparently helping, when now I realise it wasnt required but was instead used to teach me the safe way of using the machines. When I finally got to go on the infeed side it was still under a close eye until they decided I was safe enough to go alone. Touch wood, I'm yet to have a machinery accident yet but I'm sure one day it will happen. Wishing you the sppediest of recoveries !! One thing I was told though was never to be afraid of machines. With the right guards, checks.....OCD multiple checks in my case when it comes to the spindle moulder, you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Suffolkboy":2msdyvmu said:
Bodgers":2msdyvmu said:

Out of interest do you have feeling in your finger tip?

I took the top off one of my knuckles filleting a fish about two months ago and decided not to listen to my wife, instead of going to A&E I just bandaged it. It's healed but I have absolutely no feeling in it.

Not too sure yet as still getting a lot of pain from it, especially if I accidently knock it. :(

Arghhhhhh! That's just put me off my breakfast, cover it up!

I think many of us will have been very close to doing that, hope it heals soon.

Trevanion":117szb4b said:
Rorschach":117szb4b said:

That story reminds me of the time a friend in college managed to stick himself with about 1" of stanley knife in the side of his hand when he was sweeping shavings off his bench. Always look in the shavings first!

A naked Stanley knife blade in my very 'umble opinion, is just about the most dangerous handtool in the 'shop. Some years ago I was merrily slicing up veneer using a standard 300mm rule and said knife, whereupon the blade overrode the rule...

IMG_2877.jpg

...and sliced into my thumb, requiring hospital treatment at A&E

The following week, I did exactly the same thing again with the same tools; (hammer) this time the cut was at 90 deg. If you look closely 'X' marks the spot :roll: Much chortling in the 'shop - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 417
I thought I had clicked the GOT thread!

Hope it heals quickly.

Pete

Funny, I did the exact same thing about four weeks ago. Almost identical actually.

I use my P/T fairly regularly and in this case really just got complacent and should have been concentrating more. It can happen SO easily - lesson learnt the hard way unfortunately and it makes me feel a bit sick thinking about how it could have been worse...

I won't post photos as they are properly disgusting - three days after it happened and I changed the dressing my finger genuinely looked like it had been barbecued.

I'll say this tho, four weeks on and it's almost back to normal, albeit numb where the cut has healed.

El Barto":10yd5xy1 said:
Funny, I did the exact same thing about four weeks ago. Almost identical actually.

I use my P/T fairly regularly and in this case really just got complacent and should have been concentrating more. It can happen SO easily - lesson learnt the hard way unfortunately and it makes me feel a bit sick thinking about how it could have been worse...

I won't post photos as they are properly disgusting - three days after it happened and I changed the dressing my finger genuinely looked like it had been barbecued.

I'll say this tho, four weeks on and it's almost back to normal, albeit numb where the cut has healed.

I did mine on my mates P/T, I think he made me have the accident to stop me asking to use it :D
4 weeks is a good heal rate, they (a&e) told me 6 - 8 weeks so I will take 4 all day long :lol:

Back