Finger (Gory pic alert)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Much more dangerous I think is the practice of using blades that are no longer sharp and you have to force the cut which reduces control over the material. I've do it myself many times even though I know it's stupid and seen some accidents and very close calls.#-o

Being a big chainsaw user, I can confirm that a blunt blade is by far the most dangerous thing to use: pushing too hard, struggling with the kit - it leads to accidents. My favourite chainsaw picture is this one:
OSaP9.gif

Doug71":2mko3jtl said:
I learnt the trade working on big old Wadkin machines with questionable guarding. The 20" ripsaws and big radial arm saws really command your respect and keep you focused. I can see how people might get complacent on smaller, well guarded machines.

I learned in a similar situation but, conversely, the Wadkin table saw was the only thing with a guard. Myself, and the other apprentices, often got lumbered having to use an unguarded spindle moulder and a panel saw with no guard or riving knife. You learn to respect those very quickly.

In this instance push sticks where of no help but where was the bloody guard.
How many times do people need to be told NEVER USE A MACHINE WITHOUT GUARDS.
If non available make one up !

sawdust1":18xqjnpa said:
In this instance push sticks where of no help but where was the bloody guard.
How many times do people need to be told NEVER USE A MACHINE WITHOUT GUARDS.
If non available make one up !

In principal I agree but a guard is no substitute for safe working practice. A bit like a safety catch on a gun.

Back