Finger (Gory pic alert)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chisel wounds can be bad as well, had quite a few when starting out, the main reason being not having a proper stable workbench or vice! it's critical, I learnt from all of them about how to not hold tools, might have been easier just having a teacher showing me, but you always learn from the worst mistakes.

A little known 'old time' harmonious natural soothing balm remedy for open wounds like this is a gentle mix of natural oils/minerals like vinegar ,salt, diesel and mercury. Be sure to rub it in well or it won't work.

Bm101":1krlpze9 said:
A little known 'old time' harmonious natural soothing balm remedy for open wounds like this is a gentle mix of natural oils/minerals like vinegar ,salt, diesel and mercury. Be sure to rub it in well or it won't work.

Would that be sea salt or will ordinary table salt do :shock:

Anglesey sea salt or shut the front door mate. It'll make it all better. Trust me. Try and record it on your phone cam.

Just noticed this thread. I'll say the magic words:
TWO PUSH-STICKS
They just about eliminate the chances of getting a cut.
If at any point your fingers are within say 6 to 10" of an exposed spinning cutter, you are doing it wrongly. It's that simple.

Jacob":3m3v55bv said:
TWO PUSH-STICKS

It would be interesting to see someone use two push sticks on a thicknesser :?

Trevanion":2eylpa6v said:
Jacob":2eylpa6v said:
TWO PUSH-STICKS

It would be interesting to see someone use two push sticks on a thicknesser :?
You wouldn't need to unless you are mad enough to put your hand in! Sometimes things need a push in which case just say the magic words again: TWO PUSH-STICKS

Similar rule with chisels and knives - when in use never have any part of your anatomy anywhere in front of the direction of cut. Classic being holding something with your left hand whilst stabbing at it with the right. There are exceptions - e.g. those knife carving holds where you cut towards yourself but in a very controlled way with no danger of a slip.

A number of years ago I somehow managed to pop my finger into a 12 inch spinning saw blade. I went to our local cottage hospital but they were unable to do anything other than put a dressing on and send me to Bangor as it needed to be x-rayed as the bone was showing. She wrote a note to take with me on which she drew a picture of my finger, showing the nail with a cut in the top. I couldn't help laughing when I saw the drawing as it looked more like a willy than a finger :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Alan.

When I was little I stabbed myself in the wrist with a Stanley knife - trying to cut tape off bike handlebars. Needed a stitch. Doc spent a lot of time talking to me about life and the universe and I realised he thought it might have been a suicide attempt. But no I was a happy little chappy!
Very close to the artery. Still got the scar 60 years later!

2 push sticks would not have affected this outcome. More knowledge of how a planer thicknesser works and guards in place would have.

doctor Bob":3os5wklp said:
2 push sticks would not have affected this outcome. More knowledge of how a planer thicknesser works and guards in place would have.
Presume you are talking about the OP's accident, not mine.
He doesn't say quite how he did it but if he did it over the top then 2 push sticks would have saved his finger.
If he did it underneath he shouldn't be anywhere near the machine! But if he was pushing something stuck, as does happen, then 2 push sticks would have saved his finger too.
Don't know why you have a problem with push sticks. Do you see scars and stumps as rites of passage for hard woodworkers or something? Do you think people would be safer not using them?

Jacob":1rjeevm2 said:
doctor Bob":1rjeevm2 said:
Presume you are talking about the OP's accident, not mine.
He doesn't say quite how he did it but if he did it over the top then 2 push sticks would have saved his finger.
If he did it underneath he shouldn't be anywhere near the machine! But if he was pushing something stuck, as does happen, then 2 push sticks would have saved his finger too.
Don't know why you have a problem with push sticks. Do you see scars and stumps as rites of passage for hard woodworkers or something? Do you think people would be safer not using them?

FFS Jacob, I'm not being awkward, find out how he did it, if you can be bothered, there is a clear link to another thread.
You know quite clearly I use a push stick, as I told you this several times at the weekend, just not 2, it's almost as though you are trying to twist my words for effect. I've alway advocated that 2 sticks is dangerous, as you know my job is cutting up on a panel saw, spindle moulding, using 4 siders etc, I've worked in the industry 25 years, I know no machinists using 2 push sticks, only you as a retired hobbyist, you may be right, who knows.
Your a first rate tool to even suggest that I think stumps and scars are a right of passage, my employees are my first concern, not one of them has had a machine accident, we run a safety number 1 policy as all responsible employers should!!
Are you having a bad day, you seem very touchy. I am giving you an internet hug.

Never cut towards your thumb, always cut towards your chum!

Pete

"Although the regulations call for the spindle moulder to be guarded as safely as possible having regard to the exigencies of the work being done, there are some men to whom the word guard is anathema. It seems the older spindle hands who are prone to this outlook, probably because during their early training guards were not provided, and certainly not insisted upon, to anything like the extent which they are at the present time. The writer had known one of these men to throw up his job after working for only a few days because management insisted on him using the guards provided. Almost without exception, this type of man has a mutilated hand and in many cases, they seem to take pride in it and seldom weary of recounting the gory details." A.H.Haycock - 1952

To be honest, I saw more accidents happen in a short span of time in a place that was over-guarded and stringent on H&S than in years of working in places with unguarded machinery and sometimes questionable methods. You don't get complacent if there's a perceived danger you're always aware of, if there's no perceived danger you're bound to become complacent and lop something off. I don't use crown guards on table saws, I don't use bridge guards on the surface planer, I very rarely use shaw guards on the spindle moulder unless its something small in section and long in length. Would I advocate it to anyone else? Definitely not. Everyone's their own judge of their own safety in my opinion.

This accident was my own fault and I hold most of my hands up to it.
The planer and thicknesser were both working at the same time (Although my mate was only using the thicknesser part at the time of the accident) I was passing the wood back over to my mate and when I drew my hand back it brushed the planer. It happened very fast, I now know that my mate had rigged the machine to run both at the same time.
Accidents happen and sadly it was my turn, the finger is still a little raw but all the dressings have now been removed, it is still swollen and we have to rub in some E45 every couple of hours (hammer).
It could of been avoided but then so could most accidents.
On a positive I will hopefully be able to make more wood things in a week or so :shock:

Garno":11qrb0ql said:
It could of been avoided but then so could most accidents.
On a positive I will hopefully be able to make more wood things in a week or so :shock:
Glad to hear you OK.
By the sounds of it push sticks would not have helped , except the psychology might - you build in to the back of your mind a respect/fear of moving blades/cutters such that you become very cautious about having your hands anywhere near them, whatever you happen to be doing near the machine.
It was somebody on this forum who suggested it - he'd been told 2 push sticks always by his tutor, that's what I've been doing ever since.
It becomes automatic and you don't even think about it. I always did use them to some extent but simply cranked it up into a stricter routine. Photos of bloody stumps certainly helps fix it your mind!
If you are using e.g. a panel saw, of course your hands don't go near the blades, unless you are doing something a bit unorthodox, in which case the automatic blade caution should kick in and you either don't do it at all, or do it with sticks or other safety measures.

I'm with Jacob on the push sticks and thinking back I've always used them instinctively though I think that in itself is a possible danger as is always familiarity removes some of the caution.
2 sticks aren't always possible though and when that's the case I find that my awareness of the risk is intensified.

Much more dangerous I think is the practice of using blades that are no longer sharp and you have to force the cut which reduces control over the material. I've do it myself many times even though I know it's stupid and seen some accidents and very close calls.

I had to have a quiet word with my missus who had a habit of yelling to get my attention when I was using machinery. She eventually understood that I would rather have a cold dinner than sit in A&E with digits severed.

In the Ops case though it was pure accident and no intenional used of the hand near cutters, accidents happen, we aren't robots after all, one of my worst was a cut to my hand using a fully guarded hand grinder, hurt like hell but and didn't bleed as the cut was cauterised :lol:

As an aside like others I think Stanley knives are one of the most likely tools to hurt yourself with though when I was about 8 or 9 I "borrowed" a very sharp knife from the kitchen to cut peashooters and managed to cut through the tendons on a finger. Got a clout from my dad for taking the knife as well as the pain of surgery and physio. :roll: #-o

I learnt the trade working on big old Wadkin machines with questionable guarding. The 20" ripsaws and big radial arm saws really command your respect and keep you focused. I can see how people might get complacent on smaller, well guarded machines.

Back