Fine Woodworking......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Simon,

They look pretty neat don't they? I saw something like this several years ago in a magazine or on the web somewhere. It was a box of some sort (maybe a blanket chest) with deep curves along the join of contrasting woods. Hmm, thinking about it, it maybe in a book I've got on routing.

The technique, as I remember it, was to cut a profiled template and smooth it off, then use this with a router to cut both profiles, one underneath the template and the other alongside it. I guess you'd need to use a bandsaw/jigsaw to cut within a couple of mm of the profile first so that the router's just trimming.

I liked the idea too...

Cheers,

Lee

Hey up, chaps,

Umm, striking indeed. I have a vague memory of reading a review of some stuff you could cut to your own design to use pretty much as AG describes to produce a similar effect. Can't recall what its advantage over using MDF/ply/acrylic was supposed to be though. </unhelpful vague memory> :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I have a vague memory of reading a review of some stuff you could cut to your own design to use pretty much as AG describes to produce a similar effect.

I believe Alf might be recalling the late Graham Laird's innovative templates made from old printers' tin sheets and marketed for a very short period of time by those wunnerful folks at Brimarc (cheques made payable to C. Ash please Martin!!). It was featured in Good Woodworking at the time but I really can't be bothered on a Friday afternoon to go into my index and look for the issue number.

Pete

Pete,

Bingo. That's the one. :D Ah, Graham Laird; I miss his articles. One day, in the dim and distant future, I hope to make a wood samples case like his. Wonderful thing.

Cheers, Alf

Cheers for that peeps......AG I don't suppose you could have a quick look through your router books and see if you could find that article could you fella....please?

SimonA

It'll be interesting to see Alf's reponse to your post Simon.......

Noel

Noely":3qizskt1 said:
It'll be interesting to see Alf's reponse to your post Simon.......
Don't look at me. I haven't got any routing books any more; sold the lot due to lack of use. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I've seen fancy curved joints produced like this on a scroll saw. Clamp or hotglue two or more pieces of wood together and using the thinest possible blade cut them all at the same time from the template/design on the top piece. First saw this technique in 1965 when on holiday in Sorrento - local artisan cutting veneers for fancy boxes. Still got mine!

woodshavings":1xcd8b4v said:
Wot ...not even for the rat
Nope, not even for the Rat. Not much point really as only one of them even mentioned the rodent, and nothing on ways to use it. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Cheers for that Brain......I think that would work really well with the thickness of the veneers, but I don't think it'll work too well with 3/4 inch material as your just going to get saw marks. I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and make a load of different size templates!

Cheers.

SimonA

There is one more way... I did some consulting for a company in Vermont that cut very fine shapes and they were using a laser cutter. The finished cut was ultrafine and fully repeatable (computer controlled). Was even scaleable...

The company is still in business, too, even after I consulted to them!

Latest posts

Back