Fine height adjuster danger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a DW625 router with a fine height adjuster. The adjuster is like most others I've seen - essentially a threaded tube with a handle on it.

I was going to say 'over time' but in fact, almost from the second time I used it (about a year ago!) it has showed the alarming tendency to rotate its way down the thread during use. This causes two different probs:

- if the plunge lock is not engaged then the cut gets progressively deeper

- if the plunge lock is engaged and the adjuster unscrewed to a fair way above the point where it connects with the pluinge mechanism then it will rotate down and effectively means that the plunge mechanism is locked and that any bit is left protruding.

Apart from the obvious dangerousness of this, it is also time consuming and tricky to wait for the bit to stop in the groove before removal or have to unwind it every time.

I had got around it for a time by using a thread sealing compound (like liquid PTFE tape) but this makes turning the adjuster difficult after application and then fails to arrest the problem over time.

The option of removing the adjuster is not viable for me because I do use it most times I use the router.

I have considered that this may be a design flaw by DW but have not approached them yet as I wanted to see what you guys could suggest first. There is nothing else wrong with the router, in fact I'm very pleased with it so no 'get a Festool' suggestions please!!:D :wink:

Does anyone else have this problem or can suggest a solution bearing in mind that I don't do welding, soldering or metal machining.

Why this post now after putting up with it for a year? Well I've just run a very unattractive groove across a maple cabinet side panel as the result of a second of inattention and forgetting about the problem of the bit protruding. :evil: :evil: :x

Thanks

Tim

Tim

I recently bought a 625 on eBay for my 'rat. I've not used it that much but haven't noticed the problem. Not to say it's not there...just not used it that much yet. Is it VERY obvious?

You're very welcome to come over and take a shuftie at mine.

Roger

Roger,

Yes, very obvious - you can easily see the knob turning. The speed of rotation has increased significantly over time and really wasn't that much of a bother to start with or I would have taken it back.

I may well take you up on your offer - thanks - I've got a couple of things to do in the next few days but I'm more flexible next week. Let me know what suits you

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Yes, both my ELU MOF 177 and DW 625 (same router basically) do this. On these routers, the plunge lock however, does lock the router solid - unlike my Bosch where the fine height adjuster is locked but vibration allows the router BODY to move - a worse problem.

On routers like the DW 621 where the fine height adjuster does not move the body of the router but only the plunge stop, vibration can still be an issue - but at least on my 621 you can see where it has moved from and restore the setting. The body doesn't move when the plunge lock is locked.

These can be difficult problems to spot and disconcerting inaccuracies in a routed dovetail or M/T maybe the only clue at first. As usual there are things you can do - except on the Bosch. I used to love the Bosch for its fine height adjustment but this problem then emerged, since when I have gone off it big time.

Chris,

Have you got any tricks to stop it doing it so much? You are right - when the plunge lock is on, its as solid as you like but when you need to keep plunging without wanting to turn the thing off every time (like shelf hole drilling) it can be absolutely infuriating.

T

My Elu does the same thing but I don't often use the adjuster when the router is upright mostly use it when in the table. I have metal working machines so could do something with it if I wanted too but its not often a problem.

Jason

Sorry to hear about this problem Tim.
I believe it may have something to do with the type of yellow plastic used in DW powertools. You see, the green plastic in the Festool doesn't have this problem. Must be a property of the dye or something.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Is it necessary to make serious posts every so often to maintain forum membership?

Tim,

I don't have a recipe for the adjuster moving I am afraid - I just rely on the plunge depth limiter for accurate depth setting - this could move I guess but it hasn't (quite a strong spring on the fine adjustment bit prevents it rotating I suppose).

Most of the time I leave the screw aduster off and use the supplied nut only. I also use plunge bars which together with the depth limiter more or less remove the need for the fine height adjuster.

Ok just a thought, I don't know if this will work but how about finding a nut that will fit the shaft screwing it down a bit then put a dab of Superglue on top of the nut then screw on the fine height adjuster until it just grips the nut.

You could try without the glue first to get an idea of the tension you would need, it would only need to be slight that way you could still turn the adjuster freely but the tension on the nut would give it some friction?... :)

Tim

I have had this problem with a couple of my routers, I had just put it down to them being from the budget end of the market. (I by cheap and leave them set-up for specific jigs etc.)

I have had some success with stopping the vibration slackening the adjuster by fitting a Star washer between the rod and the router, a spring washer is almost as good but I find a Star washer "Digs In" more and prevents rotation.

You have to put up with a little bit of distressing of the router fixed portion but to date have not found it excessive.

You could try a weak spring placed into the hollow tube of the adjuster, just enough to overcome gravity but not too much to make it harder to screw the adjuster down. Would need to be 4-5" long I would think.

Jason

Thanks guys.

Maybe I'll use the plunge depth limiter (as Chris suggested) more instead.

I may have a word with DW and see what their response is. In essence it is a design fault and I'm not sure how 'right' it is that we have to adapt stuff to make it work properly especiallly when these are pushing the upper limits of the tool range. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me causing a prob.

Cheers

T

Tim, have you seen the Peugeot advert on the TV "Terrible Thing Envy"?

This is a problem i have found throughout the woodworking industry when the owners of inferior power tools (especially Dewalt bods) come up against the superior and exclusive Festool owner, and then go about denying that they to wish they had one to.
Don't worry it is common for DW owners such as yourself to hit out at us, after all there are not many men that like to admit they have a small under powered tool. But all is not lost because Festool guru's such as myself are giving DW and Bosch tools a home and using them for paperweights and door stops.

Cheer up mate one day you may see the light.

By the way yes i have noticed that this happens on my 625.

Regards

Woody

I have a DW625 router which I use almost exclusively in my router table. I have a fine height adjuster fitted and have not experienced the problems that you describe.

When you buy the fine height adjuster, it also comes with a nut which fits the threaded rod that the fine height adjuster screws on to. I have fit this nut on the threaded rod before the mount for the router body so that, when I have set the height accurately, I can use a spanner to tighten this nut up and sandwich the router body mount between the nut and the fine height adjuster. Once done, the height setting is securely locked until I need to change it (slacken off the nut, change the height, tighten the nut).

It has never moved, even after routing many raised panels.

Works for me.

Back