Fine Dust and general dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wear an FFP3 mask, goggles and ear muffs when working with machines - it's just common sense. Especailly since my dust extraction is just a vacuum attached to the dust port on the various machines (I only really do a bit of sawing and occasional routing though, mostly I use hand tools).

sunnybob":1lu7ec0t said:
Do you think that planing chiseling and hand sanding doesnt make dust? :shock:
They make coarser dust that doesn't get thrown around as much as machine dust.
That said I am thinking of some dust management for the hand tools.

beech1948":gmq0azyk said:
Suggested masks are first try the 3M designs and P3 filters. After that try JSP (Axminster) or Screwfix/Toolstation

Does FF stand for full face? If I get a half face and then some good sealed goggles, would that work?[/quote]

Yes..I use a half face 3M mask because I find it comfortable and of course they sell P3 filters.

IMG_0514.JPG

These face masks are great for catching dust and chippings!

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 89
Rich C":32zq5ftz said:
sunnybob":32zq5ftz said:
Do you think that planing chiseling and hand sanding doesnt make dust? :shock:
They make coarser dust that doesn't get thrown around as much as machine dust.
That said I am thinking of some dust management for the hand tools.

A quote from the FAQ section of Bill Pentz's dust collection site that is sure to ruffle a few shop coat collars. :shock: :evil: ;)

"Air quality meters show making a long smooth shaving with a sharp hand plane that creates almost no sawdust still launches lots of fine dust. Hand sawing just seven inches of typical three quarter inch stock generates enough fine invisible airborne dust for a large two car garage size shop to fail an air quality test."

Pete

Wow!! It makes me wonder how I got here after 50years joinery, without any protection other than the odd smog mask for dirty dust, from knocking walls down etc.!! (homer)

Some people are never affected by dust or even tobacco smoking and live very long lives. Others start feeling the effects after a short while. Myself two and a half plus decades of breathing coolant, oil mists and metal dusts in a machining plant have made me more susceptible. In year 51 your doctor might tell you it has caught up and you're in trouble. I sincerely hope not. Better to take the precautions from the git go but it is always up to you.

Pete

Just ordered this from Amazon. Gonna be safe from now on. And warm too..
suit.jpg

Attachments

• suit.jpg
    suit.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 46
Back