Fine cross cut 254mm Tablesaw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe my Googling skills have failed me but I'm really struggling to find a decent 60t crosscut blade in 254mm for my table saw.

I ordered one from Axminster but it's arrived and packaging states it's for mitre saws so assuming wrong take for a TS.

I can find plenty of 250mm blades bit not any 254....

Just put a 250mm blade in, you're only losing 2mm of cutting height. Saws come specified as 254mm (10") maximum blade size since they usually trying to cater to the American market because they still use imperial measurements e.g 216mm (8.5") or 305 (12").

What are you planning on cutting with such a fine blade on the table saw?

May I suggest a brief look through this thread? :) :
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/a-guide-to-circular-saw-blades-t119811.html

Trevanion":2imtb1i4 said:
Just put a 250mm blade in, you're only losing 2mm of cutting height. Saws come specified as 254mm (10") maximum blade size since they usually trying to cater to the American market because they still use imperial measurements e.g 216mm (8.5") or 305 (12").

What are you planning on cutting with such a fine blade on the table saw?

May I suggest a brief look through this thread? :) :
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/a-guide-to-circular-saw-blades-t119811.html

I want it for finish cutting the ends of the serving boards, especially ones where I use epoxy.

I was thinking a 250mm blade as I rarely get close to max depth of cut on a serving board

I suspect the blade you've bought will be fine for the job, any blade you can put in a mitre saw can be used on a table saw with no real ill-effect but it doesn't work the other way, a ripping blade designed for use in a table saw will be horrendous in a mitre saw and will cause the sliding head unit to snatch the timber.

Thanks.

I've got a 254mm ripping blade from Axy at the same time as I've got a oak butchers block project waiting to be done and that's going to be some deep rips

Trevanion":y6qpq70p said:
any blade you can put in a mitre saw can be used on a table saw with no real ill-effect

Erm, unless it's just me being thick because it's late, I don't think that that is true. A negative-rake blade designed for use on a RAS or SCMS will LIFT the workpiece if it is used on a TS, because it is designed to push the workpiece away from the centre of rotation.

It IS true that a TS blade on a SCMS will be rather aggressive and does need to be firmly controlled.

Get a +ve rake 250mm blade and you will be fine.

Steve Maskery":eik47jls said:
Erm, unless it's just me being thick because it's late, I don't think that that is true. A negative-rake blade designed for use on a RAS or SCMS will LIFT the workpiece if it is used on a TS, because it is designed to push the workpiece away from the centre of rotation.

I think you'd have to be really pushing the stuff through to get it to lift up off the table, there may be slightly more cutting resistance pushing against the operator but the cutting force is still acting downward onto the table for the most part. I've got a negative TCG blade that I use for ripping melamine occasionally and I've never experienced any problems like that.

I've actually ordered an 80T from Key Blades and Fixings.

On them as a company - super helpful and blades seem to be really top quality.

Steve Maskery":2cjtpxsl said:
Trevanion":2cjtpxsl said:
any blade you can put in a mitre saw can be used on a table saw with no real ill-effect

It IS true that a TS blade on a SCMS will be rather aggressive and does need to be firmly controlled.

Get a +ve rake 250mm blade and you will be fine.

I don't think you are being thick except maybe about the TS blade on a SCMS! The TS blade is designed to pull the workpiece towards the centre of rotation, so will be dodgy on a SCMS, and even if it didn't pull the workpiece up, would give a less clean cut. So I think one should use TS blades for TS and SCMS/RAS blades for those.

Keith

Slightly tongue in cheek crack there. I suggested 80T because that's what came on my own 10" mitre saw back in the day and when I made my first ever cut with it, I was more than happy :)
Thanks for the recommendation.

Latest posts

Back