Finding the right paint for a blue workmate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willpearson

Reaction score
Hi,

A few days ago I bagged this black and decker workmate for £15. It seems in pretty good condition to me, though I need to replace a couple of the leg clips.

I think I'd like to respray it. The rust isn't bad, but I just don't want it to get worse and I think spraying might be the best way to prevent that. I'm expecting 20 years more use out of it!

I heard that in the US a paint colour called 'safety blue' is a good match. But can't seem to find it over here. I wonder if:

1. You think I should respray it?
2. You have any other ideas how to stop it rusting?
3. Anyone has found a spray paint that is a good colour match?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1366.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 136
You can normally get the car paint suppliers to put any colour you want into a rattle can, so either find a colour Swatch that is close, or choose a colour of your choice.

You cant just spray over the rust. You need to wire brush it off. So all those spots need to be back to bare shiny metal. Then a coat of metal primer followed by your topcoat of choice. As said car paint would be good but there are plenty metal paints about.
Regards
John

From what I gather the older workmates like yours have a bit of a following for restoration and are becoming a bit "sought after" - not surprising considering how flimsey the modern ones are, but I don't think the colour makes a jot of difference to the value.

As said, you'll have to get back to bare metal, maybe treat and deep rust pitting with a rust treatment that chemically changes it, then metal primer and paint whatever colour you fancy.

That might be more effort that you were willing to do, but as you say, done properly and this could easily last 20 or more years (and might even have a re-sale value at the end of that).

B&Q will actually scan something to give t you the exact paint code you need to get a colour match and then you can get the right enamel paint anywhere that has a good pain supplier

I used to have one of those blue workmates, and stupidly skipped it when we moved house two moves ago (along with a lot of heavy clamps). Do you really need to paint it? Just keep it dry and rust will not be an issue.

I eventually ended up hunting down the pro version of the Workmate, which was made in all alloy and not painted. Had to drive to Essex to fetch it. The good ones fetch silly money now.

Just one more alternative. Kurust comes in a little pot with brush in the lid. Paint on like water. Dries blue then black and no more rust. If you are not interested in looks it's probably the easiest solution...
Or look at paragon paints. :D

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/kurust/

Latest posts

Back