Finding a chuck for my Vevor WL330 Mini Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Hi All, Greetings from the Creuse, I am new to the forum and to wood turning generally so please bear with me for asking maybe stupid questions.
I want to get a chuck for my 8x12 mini lathe (make as per the title) to aid in making bowls etc.. currently I only have the faceplate and spur that came with the lathe.
What would be a useful size? (I was thinking 4" (100mm))
The spindle is 1x8 tpi so I need a chuck either with an appropriate back plate or to be threaded itself - any recommendations?

I have fairly recently retired to France and trying to find any kind of help here is beyond me :rolleyes:
Even getting some types of wood finishes is difficult, so I have to get what I need from the UK... don't get me started :)

Any and all answers and/or advice is gratefully received. If I've not given enough info please let me know.

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• Lathe Spindle.jpg
    Lathe Spindle.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Chris, I have always used Axminster chucks and have three SK100. They have them to suit your thread £190 for a starter package.
Take a look at their website Axminster Power Tools.

Dave

Small update. The Vevor blew up it's speed controller so I've ordered an Axminster Craft AC305WL.
If anyone has any advice or comment about this lathe I would love to hear it.

I lived there for 16 years ....just north of Bordox.....never found a friendly wood turner...although they were happy when taking money....
Nothing I found was very special just clunky, heavy peices but perhaps that was a local thing....
certainly not show quality......we could have sold high end pieces quite easily (but it did take seven years to sell) I wouldn't /couldn't be bothered to unpack the tools.....
Everything I bought came from the UK.....I'd order stuff within the UK and my daughter would repack it and send it on......
up to 30kgs for around £25.......by courier.....check out the likes of Parcel Monkey etc.....
for bigger stuff we had a local Brit who used to do the UK run every week......
I bought a lathe (metal) from Peterborough and he charged me £225 ....it filled a euro pallet and weighed in at 200kgs....
wood we got localy, cheap and easy.....mostley Oak and Chestnut......
I never found fancy finishing products even sanding sealer.....in the end I just gave up looking.....
I truly wish u luck..... we we're just so glad to leave.....
best feeling ever was to drive over the Spanish border and know ur never comming back...that's after driving out of my gate.....hahaha....
the country, house and local area was fantastic with a few v/good French friends BUT I'm saying no more.....

Hi Clogs, I know exactly what you mean, I don't understand why it is so hard to get what would be normal supplies here, It's only France for gods sake, not Outer Mongolia!!

Back