Finally - Triton Router Review - long and lots of photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Review of Triton router - price approx. £240

Box.jpg

In the box we get a decent spanner, a fence, a single 1/2" straight cutter, a router, a 1/4" reducer for the collet and a decent manual
Unpacked.jpg

Well, I finally found some time to write a review of the Triton router I've had a for a couple of weeks. I purchased this for use in a table. I considered the various router lifting devices on the market too before eventually settling on this for my table. In the end it was the low cost of just the router allied to the high lift on the collet and the way it locks in place when fully plunged allowing one-handed collet removal that won me over.

I already own a 1/2" Porter Cable which I purchased after many weeks of reading reviews and considering all options. Almost invariably this router came out top in tests and has lived up to the reviews. However, I don't want to be forever mounting it in the table and then having to remove it again every time I need a hand-held router. So, I bought the Triton

Initial thoughts are simply confined to one simple observation - HEAVY. Yes, indeed, this is one beefy mutha with plenty of metal casting on the bottom half; I haven't dropped it yet but if I did I'm sure the garage would come-off worse :wink:

I haven't really considered this router as a hand-held tool because I only purchased it for table use, however, I did carry out some basic comparisons with my other 1/2" router to get some 'feel' for it's suitability for purchase as the only router a fellow woodworker might own. Also took a couple of cuts with it in hand-held mode.

The side-by-side photo below shows immediately where the Triton is carrying it's weight

Side_by_side.jpg

When used as a hand-held router, the Triton's weight really does it no favours and I wouldn't want to haul it around workpieces for any significant length of time. By comparison the Porter Cable is a featherweight and much easier to control and hold.

The collet protrudes about an inch beyond the base plate when fully plunged and locks in place ready for one-handed bit removal and fitting. One cannot help but think that the designers had one thought in mind when they implemented this, table!

Collet above table:
Collet_sticking_out.jpg

Spanner_on_table.jpg

Spindle lock just before it engages at full plunge
Spindle_lock_nearly_engaged.jpg

Spindle lock engaged
Spindle_lock-engaged.jpg

The build quality is excellent and this appears to be a real 'trade' quality' tool. Evidence of this is clear from the following photograph which shows phosphor bronze bushes on the legs. No play or slop here and the plunge stroke is absolutely straight, smooth and easy.

Phosphor_bronze.jpg

A very nice design feature is in the on/off switch. A cover moves over the swith when the router is turned on and shoots back when it is turned off. The cover prevents the router from being turned on accidentally. Another aspect of this rather nice safety feature is that one cannot fully plunge and thus lock the collet UNLESS the switch is off and the cover has returned to it's home position; preventing accidental switch-on during collet change. Nice:

Cover pushed across and router turned on:
Turned_on.jpg

Cover over switch when turned off
On_off_cover.jpg

In any router that is predominantly intended for table use, one would expect to be able to easily remove the plunge springs and release the plunge lock. Well, the Triton is no exception here. The plunge lock does not have a return spring and so one does not have to hold it out of the way whilst plunging (or raising) which his very nice and makes positioning a one hand operation.

Plunge_lock.jpg

The plunge spring is very easily removed by simply undoing a small pozidirve screw and then rotating the retaining cap. Out of the 6 routers I have used over the past years, this is by far the easiest to remove the spring.

Undoing_for_spring.jpg

Spring_removal.jpg

Coarse depth adjustment is made by turning the left handle after squeezing the orange lock ring in. It really is very easy to turn and one revolution gives 1/10" movement (about 2.54mm). The fine adjuster is a nice large knob on the top of the router which gives 0.05" (1.27mm) movement per rotation. Both are very easy to use and smooth in operation.

Coarse adjustment

Course_adjust.jpg

Fine adjustment

Fine_adjust.jpg

The Triton comes with a fence but it is really a token effort. Pressed steel and none too long. It does have a nice feature in that there is a pin that can be used as a trammel with the fence. Nicely done. however, when compared to the Porter Cable fence (see next photo) it is clear that hand-held operation came second on the priority list

Fences.jpg

The depth stop system is another very well thought out area and the spring loaded plunger a works really well. Note the depth settings which are the only metric thing on this router :lol:

Depth_gauge.jpg

I ran it up and tested for noise.:

Porter Cable 1/2" router 91.9 dB
Trend T5 router 97dB
Triton 102.7dB
Cheapo B&Q 1/2" router 102.9dB

The Triton is LOUD!!!! +3dB is twice as loud to the human ear

The base is not Trend pattern and the screws are not metric threads :cry:

The bottom line?

Well, this is a very impressive design. Loads of innovative features and well thought out. From an engineering point of view I love it. I think it is a little heavy for hand-held use and to be honest the PC wipes the floor with it here.
However, it belongs in a table where it is king.

If you want a router for a predominantly table use and occasional hand-held use, then forget the router raizer (sic) etc. and buy the Triton - you won't regret it for a second.

If you want hand-held use with occasional table use, then this is not the one for you and I strongly suggest the Porter Cable which despite the Tritons innovations and engineering, is the better router overall.

Rating 11/10 for table
7/10 hand-held

Good review Tony. Glad to see they've improved the switch and the plunge spring removal over the earlier model. Gotta agree with you, it's the way to go rather than mechanical lifters. Enjoy.

Noel

Excellent review, Tony. Thanks for taking the time from the day job. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Coarse rather than course, perhaps?

Hi Tony

Thank you for taking the time to do the review, it is excellent.

You certainly seem to have found just the right router for the table. I was surprised that it wasn't heavier than 6Kg, as the T9 is 5.7 and I can use that freehand quite happily.

Cheers
Neil

Cheers for the review Tony-nice to read someone's opinion who has actually used (as opposed to checked out the specs :roll: )
Get that Incra firing,
Philly :D

Tony
Nice review. I have been using one of these routers for some time and I agree with all that you said. In the table it is brilliant. No idea what it feels like hand-held because I have never tried it!
One thing important about the Triton is that it was designed to work up-side down - the air vents are arranged so that chips and dust don't fall into them. Many other routers do not have this feature which might be a problem sometimes when the machine is inverted in a table.
Thanks for taking the time to put the review together.

SF

I've also have this router and would recommend it without hesitation. A couple of additional comments:

The base has four fixing points, threaded 1/4" UNC. The four countersunk screws that hold the baseplate on are not long enough to mount through a Rousseau insert, so additional longer machine screws were needed in my case (a little difficult to obtain, but not impossible). Having obtained some mail order, I then found a packet in the back of a cupboard!

The on/off switch shutter is locked shut when fully plunged (for cutter changing). On the collet itself, there is less than 1/8th turn from fully tight to released - I took a little while to adjust to this.

The depth stop is excellent, especially when used to plunge through a jig, as it allows the bit to be zeroed on the workpiece first.

The front and rear guards can be left in place as they do not affect cutter change. However, although they aid with dust extraction, especially when in a table, they quickly become obscured when used hand-held, especially when working with MDF! I remove them for hand-held work, as I like to see the cutter. Dust extraction is still quite good even so.

I've used the base assembly with the fence quite a bit. I like the ease of fitting, the robust adjusters and the extra steadying effect when used "long side to the right." There is a shallow channel in the centre (to accommodate the trammel pivot mount) and this can be a problem at the end of a board, as the base can "dip" into it and spoil the profile. This is easily sorted by the addition of a suitable shim (ply and hot glue or double-sided tape). I've found the Triton a pleasure to use hand-held so far, but accept that its main function is mounted under a table.

I've found the noise to be of a lower frequency than other makes - OK, it's far from silent, but it doesn't seem to emit that painful, ear-ringing high-pitched whine that so many others do. Even Jean noticed that when passing. ;)

Ray.

Tony,

Excellent review. Thanks very much.

Without wanting to start a new Rat debate, I would like to add that the Triton is also a good choice for use in the Woodrat. The very large Router base complicates matters a little and I had to modify the CentrePlate for cutting dovetails, but the abiltity to plunge the router using my right hand whilst turning the crank handle with my left hand makes the whole process very user friendly.

Regards

David

Tony, wanted to let you know that your review has been very helpful today in helping decide on a router I want specifically for a table.

Thank you very much for the detailed pictures. :D

Could I ask you what plate you are using on your table? What is the source?

Nice review Tony.

Prompted me to buy one for table use. I already have a bosch goff 1300 which is also a good router but got fed up putting it in and out of table. I received my triton today and had the normal play with it, in the table tomorrow for some serious work I hope.

My question is can anyone tell me the difference in the triton routers. I notice yours is a TRA001 the one I received is a TRB001 but there is also a TRC001 what is the difference between them. I had to wait a week for mine to be shipped to this country so it should be up to date, but apparently there is a shortage so the last batch made were not the most up to date. The newest ones have serations on the handles and an orange arrow with a push button for engaging the ratchet.

Les

les chicken":1o2t9abs said:
Nice review Tony.

My question is can anyone tell me the difference in the triton routers. I notice yours is a TRA001 the one I received is a TRB001 but there is also a TRC001 what is the difference between them. I had to wait a week for mine to be shipped to this country so it should be up to date, but apparently there is a shortage so the last batch made were not the most up to date. The newest ones have serations on the handles and an orange arrow with a push button for engaging the ratchet.

Les
The TRA001 is the Astralian version. In the UK the router is limited to 2000W and has the UK plugs attached and is know as TRB001.
A lot of the routers had their 1/4" collets and switches changed due to faults in the original design. The interior of the switch wiring ins now in plastic with ties at both ends. At present I am told that there is a shortage in the UK and a new batch is expected

Tony,
The Triton fence is not great but the circle cutting option of the base is great and with the grunt of the motor it works very well. With the plastic insert removed and replaced with a hardwood strip it is possilbe to cut very large circles or circles within circles.The circle cutting mode is the only one I use out of the table.When left in the table for long periods you have to blow out the dust and use WD40 or similar to prevent the micro adjusters sticking.
I enjoyed the review

Triton coding for the router is as follows
TRA001 Australia
TRB001 UK
TRC001 Canada
TRJ001 Japan
I am not sure of the USA code -could be TRU

Thanks Barry
Wonder where Tony got his from :?: . You are right about the shortage in the UK Triton shipped 50 last week next delivery is Christmas time.

Fitted mine into the table today, what a joy to use one handed adjustment to the height easy tool change etc. Used a 1/2" rebate cutter to try it out on some 4x2 6ft long rails tanalised timber for a gate. It ripped through the cut with no effort and left a nice finish.

recommend it to anyone for table use. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Les

Latest posts

Back