Finally some finished items!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Mahon

Established Member
Reaction score
Well this weekend I made it a mission to finish some of the woodturning items that have been started this year! I'm well in the novice category, but there is no doubt it is addictive!

My first attempt at segmented turning:
segmented1.jpg

segmented2.jpg

A lamp for which the design was unashamedly pinched from one I saw here (Can't remember who it was, so make yourself known 'cause the credit is due!):
lamp1.jpg

And an overview of some bits and bobs:

group.jpg

(Before anyone asks, I did not turn the pottery vase in the backround!)

TLOML is happy, so that's all that matters to me!

Les, back at work and wishing the weekend / work balance was more hobby friendly!

Les,

Nice work! I like the segmented one - I shall have to have a try at something similar if only as a way of using up off cuts!

The lamp looks like Yew - am I right? It was, I believe, Trev The Turner's design (at least he did post a picture of a very similar looking one).

Regards

Gary

Les

Now your making me very jealeous, Don't ever say novice category again, you are far ahead of that, really nice looking work.

Can you enlighten me how you do the segmented ones.

Great pieces Les, how many more little cabinets and shelves have you got to fill? :lol:

Thanks for the compliments guys!

What's the lamp turned from
The lamp looks like Yew - am I right?

Yep the lamp is Yew

Can you enlighten me how you do the segmented ones.

Im hardly a fountain of knowledge since this is the only one I've done, but I just got 4 pieces of ash and walnut, dimensioned to the same cross section, glued up a left and right stack, then glued the two stacks together - if that makes any sense! I had to do a bit of work with the plane to make sure that the joints were tight but that is about it. I did find that the gouge tended to want to take lups out on the transition from one timber to another, but I guess that is probably down to my white knuckle technique as much as anything, the scaper tidied it up fine.

Les

Very nice work - love the segmented one,what finish did you use?

After spending most of last weekend cleaning/tidying/sorting out my workshop (as well as hanging doors,changing locks and fitting handles in my ex-wifes pub - I'm just too nice to her :wink: ) it's made me feel like spending some quality time with my lathe again :D

Andrew

Very nice pieces indeed, Les. Well done.

Yes, I did post a pic. of my lamp a while back. Useful way of using a piece of old yew log - but I cannot claim credit for the idea as I, too, had seen it done before. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back