finally open my christmas prezzies (gloat)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally home
In light of Chris and Phillys Gloat I thought I would have one myself. Getting home late last night and started to open my Christmas presents, having worked the last 24days with only 2 at home.
I thought I’d have a play today. Love all the saws I couldn’t get them all in the photos, the little 1779 certainly looks the part. I even forgot I had asked for a LN no9. The Sorby paring chisels seem rather on the light side after handling the other stuff but use will be the tester
I’m going to enjoy the next few weeks.
DSCF1537.jpg

DSCF1539.jpg

Ian

What a haul! You are one lucky chappy!

Enjoy!!!

Adam

Mmmmmm, shiny. (homer)

What a haul. And you forgot about the #9?! Now that's a gloat. The 1776 certainly looks the biz; I like the wooden blade guard. Very retro. :D Looking forward to your thoughts on them when you've played, er, rigorously tested them some more.

Cheers, Alf

Hmm: all looks a bit crowded for efficient working... If you want to get rid of some of that clutter, just post a few of the bits and pieces in the picture to me. I'll happily dispose of them for you... 8)

now they were last months albeit they were opened late what do i get this month.
I have the festool circular saw setup(actually i,ve 2 :oops: ) i went to tool suppliers today for some misc stuff and he showed me the little mafell circular saw with the roll up guide he said he has sold over 200 of them as opposed to half a dozen or so festools. it seems a lot easier to control and about half the weight of the festool and just as accurate if not more so and the whole lot fits inside a systainer case
has anyone tried it here and if so whats there thoughts.
I have been noticing that festool stuff is designed for the proffesional but if using for long periods their stuff is heavy going on the arms and gets tiring etc maybe i'm just getting older.

starting to enjoy this 'Gloat' bit

Ian

Ian Dalziel":2ek1uzd7 said:
i went to tool suppliers today for some misc stuff and he showed me the little mafell circular saw with the roll up guide he said he has sold over 200 of them as opposed to half a dozen or so festools. it seems a lot easier to control and about half the weight of the festool and just as accurate if not more so and the whole lot fits inside a systainer case
has anyone tried it here and if so whats there thoughts.
Not tried it, but I noticed my local, and usually hopeless, tool shop has one on display. Might have to go and tease them about it some time... Probably best to re-ask on the General board to catch the Normites who don't dare darken this Sloping area.

Ian Dalziel":2ek1uzd7 said:
starting to enjoy this 'Gloat' bit
Yeah, we noticed. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Ian

Does your tool supplier roll out the red carpet when he sees you coming?...
:lol:

Ian...

you're gonna love the #9... hook it up with some good shooting boards and it's a dream to use..

the hands saws have been a revilation; never thought so much potential woulb reside in tools so simple, and they really hold a line well, again, real nice to use... likewise with the gents saws... wee gems they are...

I haven't used the Sorby's often, and to be honest, I've been a tad disapointed with em... handle seperating from the tang on its first outing, although to be fair, that was with a gouge not the paring chisel..

Have you cosidered adopting a Canadian woodworking student and giving him free reign in your shop?

Cheers,

Regan
(A Canadian woodworking student........)

Scott,
They always roll out the red carpet dont they do it for you :D
Regan,
you're welcome anytime, not sure about the free reign though

Midnight'

Looking forward to using the 9, i have been looking at some new shooting boards, what do you reckon to a design like this for doing 45 mitres, is it overkill or underkill. not sure about putting a clamp on or not i think a bit of sandpaper glued on should stop any slippage but how i'm going to hold both knobs of the plane and the workpiece simultaneously i haven't quite worked out yet
I have some old paring chisels which are now about half the length of the new sorbys and they actually feel more heavyweight and substantial but i dont want to jump to any conclusions until i've tried them but first impressions!!!!! :? :!:
shootingboard.jpg

what do you reckon to a design like this for doing 45 mitres, is it overkill or underkill. not sure about putting a clamp on or not i think a bit of sandpaper glued on should stop any slippage but how i'm going to hold both knobs of the plane and the workpiece simultaneously i haven't quite worked out yet

Ian... I'd best put in a disclaimer first... the little I know about shooting boards is based on designing them around shooting with the #9 held in both hands... I say this because firstly, I'd never seen any other board "in the flesh", much less seen one used. My results apparently are unconventional, but... they work... for me at least...

To date I haven't built one to make the cut you've illustrated (kewl drawing btw...) But that said, I've a board that can take an insert that'd set the desired angle.
I based my design on "The Improved shooting board", Making Woodworking Aids and Devices by Robert Wearing... I say based cos I couldn't figure how his design would work, so I ummm.. changed it...

All my boards are built so that the plane runs down the axis of the bench, with the plane between me and the stock. Your board seens set up to plane away from you?? I know I'm making a half ass'd job of the description, my apologies...

To adapt your design to suit my "style", firstly I'd rotate the fence that locates against the bench edge by 90 deg, and centralize it (retaining your "works from both sides" idea). I'd want to stretch the overall length just enough to give the plane some space to complete a stroke without falling off the edge of the board; I'd add maybe another 75-125mm past the fence.
The fixed sandpaper is an effective ploy as I discovered with the last project, but to make the sandpaper "bite" I found I needed a fair bit of clamping force; I reckon a single toggle clamp might be struggling to get enough purchase on the top of the stock to hold it still while you work, but a pair of decent sized ones oughta do it.

Like I said... unconventional...
Your board looks like it'll cope well using a traditional single hand technique and a long plane on its side, nothing wrong with that at all.. bottom line is it doesn't matter how ya get there, it's the results that count, right...????

Back