Finally got the milling machine!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok..I intend to use my milling machine for woodwork and toolmaking...so henceforth it is a woodworking machine (is that ok moderators? :wink: )

For a few years now...I have been saving up for a milling machine to ease certain toolmaking activities and I nearly had enough money in the "milling machine fund" when all of a sudden...it became the "daughter's wedding fund"...and I had to start all over again!

I only need a hobby machine as most of the things I will be doing are with brass, bronze and small steel bits...so I gave up looking for a decent old one and splashed out at Axminster on a new one. Ok...they're Chinese...but very few aren't these days and I researched on how to prep it (read fettle it! 8) ) and then decided on the ubiquitous Sieg variant...X2.

I wanted the belt drive brushless motor one...so opted for the SX2.

After a little blip where I assumed the X2 and the SX2 were both brushless...which was sorted out immediately by Axminster who came out and replaced it immediately =D> ....ALFIE and I set about stripping it down and cleaning off all the anti-corrosion gunk....

DSC_2596.JPG

Now since ALFIE doesn't know a gib strip from a bone... we had to do a bit of training here...

DSC_2600.JPG

...but between us...we managed to get the gunk off...the ways cleaned...(the X way was covered in paint on the inside along one face!)...and running freely....even though Annie kept interrupting us until ALFIE gave her the "evil eye!"....

DSC_2605.JPG

So...watch out this week for some testing....I am made up that I can now make lever caps!!!

Ok...back to woodworking chaps!!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Well done Jim, its taken a while but your there now. Might have a couple of little things for you for your new toy, sorry tool :wink: if I find them this weekend I'll let you know.

Nice - I've been lusting after one of those or the X3 for a few yrs. but a friend has a Centec 2b which I can now use?

Any reason you didn't go for the ARC Eurotrade version?

Rod

Hi No Skills....

That is very kind of you indeed...can't wait to see what it is!!

Yes..it has been a couple of years in the getting and I was going to try to get a deal like the recent lathe acquisition.

I went to see one from FleaBay (an old cast iron one) but there was so much play in various places I gave up the idea. I reckoned it would cost me what this did to put it right and so...in a fit of depression I found myself on the Bobbing Bypass...en-route to Sittingbourne! Dangerously close that place!! :mrgreen:

Hi Rod....

I did look at ARC...but a couple of things changed my mind. Firstly...the purchase was a spur of the moment thing...see my "Axminster" thread to see what the second reason was...and lastly....the message.... "Please Note: Due to an estimated waiting time of approx 6 months, we are temporarily suspending the preparation service for this machine."....didn't sound worth the wait...

I can prep the machine with the help of an excellent series of videos on the subject....HERE.....and it doesn't have the red wax gunk anymore...like the lathe did...so it was easy to prepare really.

The most difficult bit was that they had tightened the drawbar up so much the MT3 was well and truly stuck in place and a milling machine ain't much use as a drilling machine only! A beech double wedge with a gap in the middle drifted that out with a few taps though!

Then I found that the autolock collet holder that I also bought has a 10mm drawbar hole...and the Sx2 has a 12mm drawbar! So off back to Sittingbourne tomorrow....to change this! I will probably take my debit card in case there is anything else I need.... :oops: :wink:

More later!

Cheers guys

Jimi

You will find an ER collet far more useful than an Autolock on a small machine like that, if its not too late change that when you are back at the shop.

And while you are there get a copper faced hammer, quick tap on a slightly undone drawbar will free the tooling.

J

jasonB":1vjmfxzp said:
You will find an ER collet far more useful than an Autolock on a small machine like that, if its not too late change that when you are back at the shop.

And while you are there get a copper faced hammer, quick tap on a slightly undone drawbar will free the tooling.

J

Thanks for the tips Jason...I'm a bit new to this high speed spinney world! The ER32 kit was the one I was going to get. It's a bit expensive but has 17 inserts with the holder. Or do you think I should just get the holder and collects/bits as I need them?

Your guidance is most appreciated.

Jim

If funds allow then go for the lot as there is a slight saving over buying singles. The other option would be to get a holder with say six collets and then add to them as needed including some imperial ones.

Metric I would go for something like 3, 4, 6, 8, 10 & 12mm or if you feel imperial will be what you are going to work with most then 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. Although teh ERs will grip over a range of sizes I do prefer the actual size when using them to hold milling cutters.

Do watch out for the sets that look like ER but are a non standard collet that come from the far east, they work perfectly well but you may have problems if you want to add other size collets.

J

These folk have a very good reputation.
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront
I've just bought a set of ER32 collets from them and they are top notch. Turned up from HK in a few days having been opened by customs and no charges made. Maybe that part was luck.

£71.28 including airmail for 19 collets 2mm to 20mm is incredible value.

Bob

Looks wizzo Jim.

I will be sending you something to put your newly made lever cap in. Soon .... promise 8)

See if this uploads..

miller2.jpg

Right oh, sorry about the poor pic but all mine are :D

Are these any use to you Jim? their only hss but should be ok for softer stuff. Got them a long while ago and kept hold of them when I saw you were after a mill. Let me know if you want them and I'll get them in the post.

Attachments

• miller2.jpg
    miller2.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 158
Cheers mate! I would love to have the mills...I am going to get a set of Imperial collets very soon so they will do nicely! You are most kind.

Gentlemen...thanks for the link to the CNC site...most helpful!

Richard...I can hardly wait...I have the burr oak from MAC Timbers just waiting to be fitted.

I have been playing around with it today...and as I am a total novice with these things I started with aluminium and then will work my way through brass...mild steel etc...

Checked the run-out at the collect end and it is so small I can't read it...so all seems set up fine on the spindle.

DSC_2615.JPG

I also tested the drill chuck with a small drill bit and the hole is perfect...so much more accurate than I'm used to!

DSC_2623.JPG

I'm well cuffed! Couple of simple facing jobs and already I can see how this would be most helpful in a number of areas!

Thanks everyone for the help and advice...this may take a while!

Jim

Latest posts

Back