Finally got my workbench finished . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
You can check out pictures of my workbench in the folder below . . . If you happen to see the photos of the entertainment center in the same folder, please note that the upper door isn't yet completed. :)

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=23343467/t_=26161456

bench.jpg

The base is made from 2-3/4" x 4" red oak members. The joints are mortise & tenon held together with veritas bed bolts and bench bolts.

There is a layer of 1/16th cork between the base and the top to deaden any vibration.

The bench top is a 27" x 72" x 1-3/4" beech countertop from IKEA. The apron is approximately 5" x 5" and is made of multiple layers of red oak. The tail vise and front vise are built using hardware from Lee Valley.

The finish is boiled linseed oil topped with WaterLox.

Lovely looking bench, ydb. Is the 'cage' on the left where you keep you 'rat? :lol:

As I've never heard of it, can you enlighten me on what WaterLox is, please?

Cheers,

Trev.

The cage on the left is where we keep one of the dogs, the beagle/hound. The bigger one, part wolf hound, is over on the left, out of sight.

WaterLox is a nice product that's a blend of tung oil, varnish and some other ingredients. It is thin so it absorbs nicely into the wood and has a pretty hard finish. It's like a danish oil. When I want a thicker oil with less varnish, I'll mix some boiled linseed oil in with the WaterLox. That cuts the varnish content and gives less luster with more of the oiled finish texture.

I'm happy with the way the bench came out and, of course, it took much longer than I had originally guestimated. :)

waterhead37":1v1yr8ba said:
Another great looking bench!

With all you guys making these fine benches, I am starting to feel benchly challenged :cry:

I'm with you on this one Chris, two really nice benches posted this week, if only I had the tools?

ydb, I agree with everyone else--wonderful looking bench!

waterhead37":38cypbj0 said:
...With all you guys making these fine benches, I am starting to feel benchly challenged :cry:

And I definitely can identify with your sentiments, Chris.

Thats a superb bench. I'm very impressed!

Adam

Proper job, ydb. =D> 'Scuse me while I just go and hide my bought-in bench... 8-[ :oops:

BTW, can't access your folder. :( Keep getting a "Sign Up" page instead. Is it me, or..?

Cheers, Alf

That's a good looking bench and one that I'm sure will give you many years of happy woodworking without worrying too much about about the wear and tear it will get. Lovely job :) .

Gill

Alf":3rmmlyz4 said:
BTW, can't access your folder. :( Keep getting a "Sign Up" page instead. Is it me, or..?

It's not you. I thought snapfish might be a nice way to host pictures for family etc but it's turned out to be a royal pain in the buttocks. I'm going to make a webpage and host them properly.

Thanks for the kudos everyone. I'm very pleased with the time that I put into my bench. My wife's complaining that the bench is the nicest piece of furniture in the house so I'd better get started on my other projects soon. Oh the pressure . . . . :)

ydb1md,
Great bench. Lookd like a lot of work and craftsmanship. Just a curiosity but from the angle the picture was taken there appears to be no cross rails at lower front and back.......is there a design idea here or what.?

best regards
Alan

beech1948":w80reqjl said:
Just a curiosity but from the angle the picture was taken there appears to be no cross rails at lower front and back.......is there a design idea here or what.?

I didn't want a cross member in front, for easier underbench access, so I put a massive member in back -- it's red oak and about 8"x2", a heavy sucker. (I know, I need to finish oiling the rest of the base. :) I got impatient and wanted to get some quick pictures. )

bench_crossmember_small.jpg

Links to bench leg pictures:
http://home.comcast.net/~ydb1/bench_leg.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~ydb1/bench_legs.jpg

The bench top and apron are tied to the bench base via 3/4" dowels, so they help constrain lateral movement. That in combination with the rear crossmember gives me a stable base with access below the bench for storage. I'm in the process of mentally designing storage for clamps and tools that will roll under the bench when not in use.

Has the first project rolled off the bench yet?

I am about to start my bench (going mad trying to remember how to produce decent drawings at the moment!).

I was planning to go for 3" or 4" thick top. How have you found your top. If you think it is ok then I may have a re-think and save a couple of quid as I was planning to buy 3"/4" square beech lengths and key / glue them together with 1/2" ply strips acting to assist location.

Any feedback would be useful

Simon.

Latest posts

Back