Finally got my workbench finished . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SVB":ayr0yuct said:
Has the first project rolled off the bench yet?

I was planning to go for 3" or 4" thick top. How have you found your top. If you think it is ok then I may have a re-think and save a couple of quid as I was planning to buy 3"/4" square beech lengths and key / glue them together with 1/2" ply strips acting to assist location.

Simon.

Hi Simon,

I've been really happy with my bench top. It's plenty stable and strong and the fact that it saved me a lot of money is great. I think that a thickness of 1-3/4" is plenty for a bench top. I've seen commercial benchtops as thin as 1" or 1-1/8", which seemed too thin to me. The apron needs to be built up to cope with the vise(s) clamping stresses, bench dogs, etc but you can take care of that in your design.

I thought about making drawings etc but you really don't have to. Just take it slow, don't rush it and think things through. The tail vise that I have took the longest -- mentally and construction wise. Just getting my mind around the design took a while. If you have any questions the guys here are happy to answer anything.

Newbie_Neil":jshox79r said:
Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers
Neil

I don't know Neil, I think that with over 2000 posts, maybe "newbie_neil" is a misleading moniker. :wink: :lol:

Back