Finally got a NORRIS - for a FIVER!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok...so it's not an infill plane...but this...

DSC_2624.JPG

Picked it up today from a local guy...from FleaBay...lovely isn't it!? 8)

I can't believe anyone other than Norris made it.....

DSC_2626.JPG

...as the engineering precision is top notch. I thought at first that they may have bought it from another supplier and just stamped their mark....but I can't see this somehow.

There is one other similar example of a Norris toolmaker's clamp ....

....at the Tool Exchange in Australia...and they want AU295 for it...stating that it is very rare...but no other information that I can find...

Another one for your expert research Professor?

It has a really clever round tool holding design...not a double "V" notch but a "W+V" notch...

DSC_2628.JPG

This means that the top flat of the "W" pushes one side of the stock and the "V" side supports it. This makes for really firm stock holding with very little pressure.

Wonderful stuff...and ideal for the metalworking aspect of my KT Mitre project.....I am really chuffed to bits to find this!!

When I was picking it up...I found something else quite interesting....see my other thread on the parallel adjustable spanner from 1923....

Cheers guys

Jim

Hi Jimi, listed in next Stanley sale catalogue
Lot No 984 A rare pair of NORRIS clamps ( Russell book fig.1292)
Estimated £100 - £200 Fine condition

Produced circa 1946 when owned by Aeronautical & General Instruments Ltd

I believe that what they list is actually just the one clamp of which you have half.
The other section is in the form of a table clamp with a small anvil as you have pictured below from Tool Exchange.

Looks like you need to tell TEx they have half missing and ship to you at greatly reduced price :idea: :wink:

Cheers
Andy

Sounds pricy to me. I got this for a quid. You need to get to car boots early :)

norris.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• norris.jpg
    norris.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 2,448
Ok guys, all very nice and gloatworthy. But can anyone describe exactly what clamping task can only be done by one of these? Where is it absolutely essential? (Even if the answer takes us a long way from woodwork!)

AndyT":xr5rrslx said:
Ok guys, all very nice and gloatworthy. But can anyone describe exactly what clamping task can only be done by one of these? Where is it absolutely essential? (Even if the answer takes us a long way from woodwork!)

They're most certainly not for woodwork - they're normally described as instrument or tool (and die) makers' vises, and they're used to hold small items at funny angles for sawing or (more likely) filing.

BugBear

Hi Jimi

It is indeed a beautiful little clamp. But isn't the "W+V" design more likely to damage round stock than "V+V" since it effectively uses only three points of contact rather than the more usual four? Or does the flattish central point of the "W" compensate for that?

Evergreen":3tf03411 said:
Hi Jimi

It is indeed a beautiful little clamp. But isn't the "W+V" design more likely to damage round stock than "V+V" since it effectively uses only three points of contact rather than the more usual four? Or does the flattish central point of the "W" compensate for that?

Thanks for the information guys...and especially BB for the picture of the complete clamp...although I have to say either side can be used in isolation and I think I may have the best bit for my purposes. And I make no excuse for including this "metalworking" tool as I feel this is an integral part of my woodworking as I mix the two media in almost everything...and it does have the famous "Norris" mark. :wink:

I think your logic EG...is sound but for some reason..the pronounced flat on the "W" seems to lock the round stock into the "V" with more authority...I have not seen this design before.

It will be interesting to see what the one on the David Stanley auction goes for...although I am not that bothered if it gets £2 or £200...I have no intention of selling it.

Jim

Just found my dads in his garage
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347811950.668735.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347811950.668735.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347811950.668735.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 2,034
Hardwood66":37bxatqu said:
I know I'm a lucky lad

Indeed you are!

Isn't it amazing...you find something for the first time and search the web and only find a few examples and then you come on here and already we have two members who not only know what they are but have two complete examples! Amazing!

It will be interesting to know what the one on the David Stanley auction goes for.

Jim

Back