Finally finished the fly tying box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
After many stops and starts and trying to find thin piano hinge, catches, handle etc, plus the garage has been cold, I finally got the box finished. There are many faults where it's just not perfect and what with it being moved around so many times it has sustained a few knocks and bumps. Made a mess when fitting the hinges as I couldn't quite get the lid square on to the base. Books etc. can be slotted into the inside of the lid.

Finished box 1.jpg

Fly made and supplied by Quentin Smith at QJS Marquetry

Finished box 2.jpg

Interior with trays in place

Finished box 3.jpg

Interior with vice compartment open, the vice can be clamped to the flap.

Finished box 4.jpg

Interior with top trays removed.

Finished box 5.jpg

Mitre splines (Marcross)

Andy

Attachments

• Finished box 1.jpg
    Finished box 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,754
  • Finished box 2.jpg
    Finished box 2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,771
  • Finished box 3.jpg
    Finished box 3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,757
  • Finished box 4.jpg
    Finished box 4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,796
  • Finished box 5.jpg
    Finished box 5.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,753
Wow that is nice. Have you any WIP or extra photos. How did you do the veneering work?
Tell more.
Owen

Sorry for the lack of WIP pictures, after seeing some of the work produced on here (Dodge) I really didn't think it would be worth it.

I got a strip of rippled / spalted sycamore from MAC timbers which was used for the case which I mitred and glued up using the masking tape technique then added the keys which are just five strips of veneer, I have a dedicated cheap Atkinson Walker blade (£16) with flat-topped teeth for cutting the slots and the five strips of veneer fit perfectly after a few taps with a hammer, using strips of waste veneer you can make up what ever colours you like to match the box timber.

The base is just 4mm birch ply slotted in with a router and the top, rebated into the sides, is 9mm birch ply veneered on one side with Amboyna burr and Walnut on the other. The strips round the outside are added after a tip from Ian Hawthorne and the inlayed strips routed in to add some interest and to hide the join, as previously said, the fly inlay was made by Quentin Smith from QJS marquetry, a very helpful chap and the final design was decided upon after many e-mails and all for £11.
The top was cut off by hand as it was too big for the bandsaw then block planed and sanded to make a good join.

The trays are Sapele with green felt stuck down before the dividers were added, I have since found some green Baize which is thicker and will make a better lining.

Thanks for all the nice remarks guy's, it's good inspirational stuff.

Now all I've got to do is decide why I made it #-o

Andy

Fantastic job Andy - I love it.

But where are the flies? :lol:

You've done it for me now, I'll have to drag out my old tat of a plywood box and make a new one :roll:

Bob

I love it too Andy - any chance of a detail of the inlay? I made one for a mate a year or so back - a much smaller box 6x4 inches just with foam in the inside as follows but the inlay was fiddly and I was never sure it was very accurate
7128934113_4c52a0ee55.jpg

Lovely box really well done
Cheers
Mark

gasman":34mklm1a said:
I love it too Andy - any chance of a detail of the inlay? Cheers Mark

Mark,

Here is a picture of the inlay, Quentin made a couple of others as well, just a silhouette using Maple inlaid into Walnut burr but I will use them some other time.

Bet you inlaid yours better than I did.

Andy

Attachments

• Tyingbox inlay.jpg
    Tyingbox inlay.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,473
Andy

Appologies if "teaching granny to suck eggs" :)

If you do any more inlays you should have a go at making thenm up yourself. it's quite simple to do a marquetry version as long as the veneers aren't too thick and even then you can use a scrollsaw.
Best technique is cut from the back / tape the front, (window method) and best tool is a scalpel - cheap, effective and satisfying results.

cheers

Bob

Bob,

I have been getting some impromptu lessons from Quentin and plan to have a go sometime, I've even made the first move and got a cutting mat and the scalpel, don't want to spoil the shiny new look though :-k

Tony,
You would if you used a hammer :lol: It's really meant for use as a mobile station so that when you forget to take your flies on a fishing trip you can fetch the box out and make some :-"

Andy

andersonec":37ws44ce said:
Bob,

Tony,
You would if you used a hammer :lol: It's really meant for use as a mobile station so that when you forget to take your flies on a fishing trip you can fetch the box out and make some :-"

Andy

Been there, dunnit, got the tee-shirt etc!

Whenever I go away fishing, I can never decide what to leave out, so I end up with several plastic cantilevered toolbokes in the back of the Land Rover. :shock:

BTW I wouldn't be able to get my Odames vice in yours, do you have a special mini job to go in the box?

Tony Spear":21i4t4uo said:
andersonec":21i4t4uo said:
Bob,

Tony,

Andy

Been there, dunnit, got the tee-shirt etc!

Whenever I go away fishing, I can never decide what to leave out, so I end up with several plastic cantilevered toolbokes in the back of the Land Rover. :shock:

BTW I wouldn't be able to get my Odames vice in yours, do you have a special mini job to go in the box?

Any room in the landrover for the fish on the return journey or do you cook and eat them on site?

Searched the net for info about vice sizes but that sort of information wasn't listed so got the dimensions out of my head, suppose a little hacksaw would fit in there too. :lol:

Once went fishing in Norway with some plastic explosive many years ago :-" :-" :-"

Andy

andersonec said:
Any room in the landrover for the fish on the return journey or do you cook and eat them on site?

Andy]/quote]

I have cooked them on campsites when on fishing trips, but as I've always liked to fish for wild brown trout I've given up killing them as most people (including me) nowadays tend to regard them as an endangered species!

I do (very rarely!) get a chance to have a go at Sea Trout and I sometimes kill the odd one, but I wouldn't waste one of those on a camp fire or barbecue!

If I do have the odd day out on a "put and take" still water, I have no hestation in taking home my limit (if I catch that many!). Otherwise, if I want a trout for the table, I go to the supermarket as it's a damn sight cheaper, particularly as the Land Rover is a V8!

BTW, my vice is nearly 350mm. from the bottom of the shaft to the tip of the jaws.

It is a big b***er though! :shock:

Back