Finally finished that planter!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Started it last October and finished it today :cry: A record?

Moving house and other projects sort of got in the way.

First time I have made my own T&G boards which was fun. Resawn Meranti (on my Charnwood bandsaw) and T&G on router table. Chamfer on boards with block plane.

The finials on the posts were a real pain and I nearly lost a finger or two to the router table - cut with a top bearing on long straight cut bit + a post in the router table. Snatched and kicked if I ran it too near the end though :evil:
Cleaned up with sandpaper and paring chisel.

Frame is simple mortice and tenon pegged on insde only.

I quite like it and, more importantly, mrs T likes it too. :D :shock:

The photo is a bit iffy as the finish is not this orange and there are no variations in colour on the actual finials which I guess come from the flash and JPEG compression. The colour variations on the T&G is in the wood (heart and sap woods) and adds to the looks og the actual piece

Planter.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Nice one, Tony.

What are the dimensions. It looks unusually tall in the photo, although very handsome :).

Pete

The dimensions are 605 wide by 340 deep and 520 to the top of the posts (600 to the top of the finials). The whole thing is sitting on some upturned nails driven into hardboard in the picture for oiling and so looks a little higher.

I wanted to go for elegant rather than the 'stumpy' ones you see in garden centres. proportions look OK in the flesh (wood?)

Bean

I distracted her by moving house just as all the wood was cut to size :D :twisted:

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

It looks very good - well done. Don't forget to drill some holes in the bottom if you intend to put compost directly inside the planter - otherwise water can collect and hasten the inevitable ravages of time.

You've made a great job :)

It must be something with planters as the one I did for UKW took nearly a year to appear online.

Back