Finally finished my router table (long with lots pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd

Established Member
Reaction score
Well its been nearly 3 months in the making but I've got a router table at last. Thanks to all of you who helped me out with the questions along the way.
It started out with a sheet of 18mm MDF cut to sizes, rabbets cut in with my cheapie router.
First pic with the main bits glued and screwed together
pic1.jpg

Next to put shelves in and start the electrics

pic3.jpg

A test fit of the top, bought in the Rutlands xmas sale. I was going to make my own, but by the time I'd bought laminate, T track and an insert it wasn't much more expensive to let someone else do that bit :)
pic4.jpg

I wanted to make sure I could move it around the workshop so 2 castors and 2 feet were added.
pic5.jpg

Next some sanding filling screw holes and a coat of undercoat.
pic7.jpg

After a couple of coats of off white eggshell it was time to think about dust extraction. Some 40mm waste pipe into the router box and a bit of an old hoover pipe for attaching to the fence later.

pic8.jpg

pic13.jpg

I now needed to use it to finish it, but I didn't want to drill the nice new router insert to fit my cheapie old router. A £1.99 plastic chopping board from Tesco was a good substitute and I could at last use my table. Even if it was only half finished :oops:
pic11.jpg

Next to cover all that mdf edge on the front. I had some bits of mahogany left over from recycling an old fire surround. just needed gluing up and pinning on.
pic14.jpg

Two drawers and the doors next. These were painted MDF edged in more mahogany. I'm afraid I forgot to take pictures here as I was doing this bit in the odd half hour here and there.

Next came the new router to but in it, I went for the Triton as it would spend all of its time in the table and while i've only has it a couple of weeks I have to say its outstanding.

Well it still needs some oil on the mahogany its not perfect, the observant will have spotted that I drilled for the door pull in the wrong place on one of the doors :oops:, but overall I'm very happy with it.

pic15.jpg

and from the top
pic16.jpg

Now I just have to make something with it :p

cd

Thanks for that - have recently been thinking about building one myself,so found it very informative.

Andrew (who's off to price up router table tops.. :whistle: )

Lovely job cd. You should be rightly proud of a very nice router table.

Now just watch your fingers :wink:

CD
Looks good. Worth all the effort and fun at the same time. I hope it gives you plenty of successful project time.

SF

Thanks all for you comments,
This is the first time I've use a router wrong way up and its soo much easier I wish I'd made one a few years ago.
So far all I've done is a few test cuts and made some featherboards and sled for the T slot.

beejay":1gpfysrw said:
let us know how good the dust extraction is after the test drive.
Also, how easy it to access the various router controls when its in the cabinet, or do you simply lift the router and plate out from the table.

Ive got it connected to a shop vac and the above table extraction is good. Below the table I do get some sawdust remaining but not too much and at least its there and not all over the workshop :lol:
The Triton is dead easy to use with the plunge spring removed just twist the handle and up it goes, it raises stright through the table so bit change is very easy.

That's a nice looking set up. How tall is it?
Its a bit taller than most plans I saw about 4" higher than waist height cant remember exact measurments but I'll check when I get a chance. It matches the table saw height so i can use it as a run off table if I need.

CD where did you buy your NVR switch from and how much did it cost (I'm looking for one myself).
£15 plus postage from the bay, I did look for a link but can't find it I bought it about 4 months ago.

First real project will probably be a small table to go at the end of the sofa to put drinks on with a shelf for magazines and the laptop underneath, if I can design it with the 408 remaining sketchup trial minutes :p

cd

That's a nice looking table CD. I built my router table from the plan in Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton, which is similar to yours. I put mine on 4 locking castors for mobility because I have a single garage size workshop. For my fence I used the design on the Wealden website by Ron Fox, and that is where I have had problems. The fence has two sliding cheeks so that you can effectively have zero clearance around the cutter. The fence is made of 18 mm MDF but I problems with the cheeks not staying flat. I haven't laminated them as described by Ron Fox but I thought that MDF was more stable than that. Anyone else experienced similar problems?

cheers

George

George, I'm currently making the same table. Have built the carcase and am half way through making eight drawers for it - I decided I didn't want the bit drawers in the book so am making ply box drawers with planted on fronts.

I bought a unilift, allen key operated chuck and a dw625 to go in it, so the wallet's taken a beating but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I'm interested in the fence design too - I have a fancy to make something with built in adjustment but haven't found too many designs available. I don't feel that I can justify the incra yet but am making the top big enough. Have ordered pat warners book which may have some ideas - have you seen this, it's perhaps a bit over the top, but looks interesting:
http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html

colin

colinc":2yap1m7y said:
have you seen this, it's perhaps a bit over the top, but looks interesting:
http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html

colin

Colin, It does look a bit OTT but I bet it is straight and flat...any idea what it costs, I couldn't see a price from the link you posted. It doesn't really matter anyway as I'll keep working at mine until I'm happy with it.

cheers

George

George, from the link 3rd para from the bottom
Price: 425$ + 40$ for boxing (double), insurance, tax and freight, (UPS Ground). Price includes an hour of free instruction if the user can travel to Escondido, California. Email for more information and ordering instructions.

Free instruction thrown in as well? :lol:

Andy

dedee":3195onzx said:
George, from the link 3rd para from the bottom
Price: 425$ + 40$ for boxing (double), insurance, tax and freight, (UPS Ground). Price includes an hour of free instruction if the user can travel to Escondido, California. Email for more information and ordering instructions.

Free instruction thrown in as well? :lol:

Andy

The old eyesight must be going or maybe my brain just didn't want to see the price. Never mind the free instruction, at that price I'd want the guy to come and do the work for me.

cheers

George

Back