Finally done

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
Got this bad boy done.. :wink: ....finally. Has been worth the time. When my daughter sees it for the first time I think it will put a very big smile on her face. The gift for my daughter has given me two orders now for similar pieces. Will start saving for my next new "Toy"...lol....
Cut from 3/4" aspen.....shaped then colored with wood tone stains, leather dyes and a touch of thinned oil paint. Semi-gloss lacquer finish.
Lin
shylahshorselg.jpg

That's turned out beautifully, Lin. Well done! Anyone would think you were an old hand at this segmentation game ;) . Where did you get the pattern?

Gill

Edited to reflect the fact that this is segmentation, not intarsia as I originally thought :oops: . Well, there might be a purist or two out there who worries about these things ;) :D . It was the wonderful vibrancy of the colours that deceived me.

Lin,

Looks as if it could come alive! :shock: 8)

So are you going to make the rest of the horse next? :wink:

Lin, what a excellent piece of work. I am sure your daughter will treasure it for many years to come.

Regards

Woody

Time on one of these is consuming. I'm a week-end woodworker and this one is a gift so it got put on hold several times while I cut orders. If I could do it straight out.....Cutting, laying it out and some decisions on how I would shape and cutting backer for the pieces I would shape together took about three hours.......I shaped it in two sessions......probably about four hours each time.....
Took me longer to decide the colors than to do it.....lol
I used every stain and several dyes I had on scrap to decide. I reality I drug my hubby out to make the final decision on most of the colors.... :lol:
I spent last week-end staining.....dying....gluing......then cut the backer and glued him up. It would take about 1 week (about 4 hours each of the first three days until the coloring and gluing began..then its more waiting for everything to dry to continue)
The next two orders are also for a horsehead.....Just different patterns. Don't know if I'm ready for the full version...
This pattern is a "Laughing Dragon" design. It was a unicorn pattern that I cut off the horn and dropped off a bit of the extra mane that I felt wasn't needed. It is what I would consider a "Fantasy Horsehead. Link to the site is: http://www.creaturekingdomart.com/
Time consuming..yes.....in the shaping anyway.....but what you end up with is worth it. This is my 6th segmented piece and the shaping on it is the best I've done so far.
I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement from the members here.
You guys and gals are great.

Gill, The fact that you mistook it for intarsia makes me feel sooooooo good. I did the coloring right then. A big hug to my hubby who made the final call on the colors.

BTW......Segmentation is the easier of the two (other being intarsia) to pull off. My cutting doesn't have to be exact and all my pieces will still fit.
I have done one small 6 piece "intarsia" project.....slowly working towards trying another eventually as confidence in my cutting (accuracy) abilities get better...(staying dead on that line is hard to do..... :roll: )
Lin

Hi Mike

Patrick Spielman explained the differences between intarsia and segmentation in his Scroll Saw Segmentation book:

"Segmentation projects are, as a rule, made from just one board or a single piece of inexpensive material. The process involves cutting out patterns of objects, such as fish, animals, scenery, and the like, into primary elements or segments (tails, wings, legs etc), separating them from the whole. The edges or surfaces of each part are rounded over or otherwise contoured and shaped with hand or power tools. A pigmented color, stain, or natural finish is applied to the individual segments. Lastly, the segments are reassembled with wood glue to re-create the whole.

Intarsia, on the other hand, requires selecting stock from many different boards or pieces of wood in different natural colors - usually in dark-, medium-, and light-toned combinations. Sometimes one to a dozen or more different species of wood are used to make up the colors for the individual segments. Walnut and maple, for example, provide a dark brown and white that may be combined with various pink shades of Western cedar to create a colorful palette. Usually clear, natural finishes are used.

Each piece of wood selected for an intarsia project is chosen for its natural color as well as its figure, or grain, direction, which complements the general design effect. Each segment of intarsia, however, is cut individually and must be made to fit precisely against adjoining segments. Thus, in addition to using more expensive materials, intarsia is more labor-intensive and somewhat more difficult to accomplish overall."

Gill

Only one word ................

EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

You are one cool lady sawer ! :D :D

Absolutely super work, Lin. =D> =D>
I'm still working on the beginner's scrollsaw challenge (spitfires), but I'll get there. :) Cricket and other things are disrupting me efforts at the moment.

Cheers,

Trev.

Yep, thank you for the info Gill.

It's all magic to me. I look at all the work you, Lin and Bob have been posting and it is humbling--kinda like Trev and Chas with the wood turning. Simply beautiful work.

Mike

A huge THANK-YOU for the wonderful response to my lastest attempt at "Segmentation"....I know I done good now. :D

I will start plugging away at the next two hopefully starting next Sunday....I have two projects that have to be done before the 24th of this month first.

Trev, Glad you have the opportunity to try out the scrollsaw.....You'll get there....when the time presents itself. Regardless.....I love what you can do with a chisel and the lathe.....My time on that tool has become even more limited of late.....x-mas orders are coming in and my week-ends are now tied up for the next two months.

Lin

I think im going to like this forum :lol:
Great work
Your a real Craftsman !

Excellent and inspirational and educational all in one post.

Will it be hung as it is now or mounted on a base of some sort?

Andy

Back