Finally a space of my own! Hello from a new member!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesaurus

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post!

Little background: I have been woodworking pretty much most of my life to varying degrees doing general paid carpentry work, building furniture for the house with power tools and doing quite a few built-ins for people. I've always enjoyed it but found it hard work and quite frustrating not having a decent dedicated space and working out the back of a van

However things have changed and I have finally managed to claim a space of my own. I built a workshop in my garden last year 6mx3.6m - Concrete base, block walls and timber flat roof with EPDM . It's not huge but it's way better than anything I've ever had and.. IT'S MINE!! There's a couple of pictures attached at the end of the post

I've been slowly fitting it out with electric and insulation and have a pretty good selection of hand power tools, SCMS, track saw, router, drill press plus a decent workbench and sheet storage cart. I've recently built all my cabinets for it and the final piece of the puzzle is to add some decent machinery.

Things I intend to make:

Built in cabinets made from sheet material and solid wood faceframes and then painted - I have made several in the past as there is a lot of demand where I live for storage solutions but always found it hard without a proper set-up and awkward to work in a clients house. I intend to make them in the shop and then install with the minimum of mess and fuss. This is to earn a bit of extra cash really but I do really enjoy making this type of thing and want to take it to the next level.

Another project is making a back door made from oak and chestnut salvaged from a derelict house that I own in France. I went down there last week to work on things and ended up bringing a car load of old timber several hundred miles back with me to make it in my workshop. Can't wait to do this as I love re-using stuff

And then just make anything that takes my fancy really, the wife has her orders in already (got to justify the tool purchases somehow :lol: ) the first being a rustic dining table made from sleepers.

I have secured a budget of £3500 to buy a thickness planer, table saw, band saw, chip collection and rotex sander. Done a lot of reading here which has been incredibly helpful and I think I've decided on the following machines.

Rotex 90
Makita 2012 Thickness Planer
itech 01332 10" TS
Record power sabre 350 Bandsaw

I've decided on the benchtop planer purely because of space, I intend to use the levelling sled technique to establish the first reference face and then thickness from there.
The bandsaw and TS both seem pretty good for the money and people seem pretty happy with them.

I have selected the machines to cope with the projects that I mentioned and I think I can do most of what I want.

Really looking forward to getting started making some serious stuff next year and also learning more about this wonderful art! Also excited about joining this community and learning from you guys - I have so many questions! (The first of which is about how to make this table, I will post separately)

Thanks Paul!

Attachments

• 20181106_105724.jpg
    20181106_105724.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 184
  • 20181106_105843.jpg
    20181106_105843.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 184
Welcome to UKW Paul, looks like the workshop is a 'Home from Home' man space.

Thanks for the welcome!, It certainly is a man space, and I keep reminding my wife and 2 year old daughter of that when they try and fill it up with bikes and toys - neither of them listen to me though LOL!

Nice shed. The garden looks quite impressive too ;)

Welcome to the forum

Welcome Paul; nice shed

In your garden what are the two low shrubs with long leaves guarding the shed doors ?
I recognise the Cordyline :)

That's a very nice workshop and I think the candelabra really ties the room together.

Back