Files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Just a simple question regarding wood files, I come from the world of metal originaly and just wondered why wood files do not have a safe edge like some of their metal file relatives, their must be a reason!

The majority of rasps have bitey edges, for sure, but there are at least two 'safe-edged' wood rasp/files that I know of. Paul Sellers reviews the Shinto "saw-rasp" here.
There is a second style, also made in Japan, which looks like a bit like a soft-metal float and can be had with a safe edge.

Planemakers' floats are toothed on one surface only.

I suppose another way to answer the question is to say that woodworkers generally don't use rasps & files in quite the same way a metalworker does. Planemaker floats are used for precision fitting, similar to the way you might fit metal parts, but rasps are most often used for tearing off (comparatively) large amounts of material using a combined cross-cum-draw-filing action and the toothed edges help 'start' the cut (or so it seems to me). I do have one of the Japanese 'float rasps' and very occasionally take advantage of its safe edges, but most often, when working a sharp rightangle edge in wood, one uses single cutting edged tools like a chisel, rebate plane, etc. A rebate plane is the woodworkers hand-driven equivalent of the milling machine... ;)

Cheers,

Hi

I bought what I thought were a couple of Farriers files (Rasp side for removing hoof, Fineside for taking down the nails that come through the hoof) at the Bootsale local to me, Was told they're not farriers files but rather general 'Do all' files!!

They don't to have teeth on the edges but are really sharp, Think I gave 50p or £1 each for them!!
DBygXkf.jpg

John (y)

Those 4in1 rasps/files are very handy, I keep one in the toolbox all the time and one in the workshop. Quality varies but good ones are less than a fiver and well worth it.

Latest posts

Back