File Sharing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
No, not that sort.

In WIn98, IIRC, it used to be possible to password-protect drives, folders and files. Now I have a WXP network and all I can find is allow users to access my drive or not. I can find password-protection nowhere. I know that there is a difference between having the drives formatted FAT32 or NTFS, and that mine were converted from FAT32 to NTFS (as opposed to being formatted NTFS on installation), but my wife's laptoop has never been FAT32 and that looks identical to mine.

Can anyone give me pointers to how I can control the sharing of my drives and folders, beyond all or nothing.

All help gratefully received.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks M, I'll wade through that little lot.

Basically all I want to do is to access my Desktop machine from the laptop on a wireless network, and I want to password-protect my C and D drives, so that other network users can't. Not much to ask, is it? Desktop is XP Pro, laptop is XP Home.

I'm sure there is an answer somewhere in there. At least I've learned how too get the more familiar SHaring and Security tabs. Thanks very much.

I should have known better than to think it was a 2-minute job! :D

Cheers
Steve

Steve

I will be interested if you find the answer. As you said the old editions of windows you could set a password on a file or folder. I have xp home and the only way I can find is that you have to set up "users" who have different permissions, and log in or out.

I only want to protect one or two files and the "user" method is a pain and long winded.

Les

Les
For one or two files, you may want to investigate the drive compression utilty. Not used it, but from what I can gather reading about this stuff is that you create a new drive, add your files then compress it. You can password protect that. Don't know if you can do it on a flash drive.

Simpler still, but not as secure, is to ZIP the files and PP the Zipped file.

Cheers
Steve

Back