Fig logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanB

Established Member
Reaction score
I was lucky to get some freshly cut logs from an unusually (for the UK) large fig tree today, up to 24cm diameter and up to 40cm long.

Am I doing the right thing to cut them vertically in half through the pith to aid drying and avoid splitting in the centre? Should I coat just the end grain, or the vertical cut too?
IMG_20210120_160245.jpg

Just end grain is fine. keep them out of sunlight/ direct wind.

Fruitwood can be more prone to split than other hardwood so fingers crossed.

(Other option is to rough turn now- leave wall thickness roughly 15% diameter to allow for movement and enough ‘meat’ to return round when dry.

The milk (sap) from figs is possibly poisonous? Certainly it can have a reaction under the skin when combined with sun light (my neighbour proved this last year - he had a face covered in blue/black splotches that took weeks to disappear, and he wasn't allowed out of the house until they had gone).

I always treat fig as rubish - not even worth putting on the fire. I would love to see what you make with it - perhaps I'll start keeping some back.

Thanks for the input.

@Trainee neophyte, maybe I'll leave it till its fully seasoned then!
It seems to be a bit like balsa wood - really light and fluffy. You can burn it, and it makes all the right noises, but you won't notice any heat, and blink and you missed it. I have some thrown on top of my log pile, so if I ever get to do any turning, I will play with it just in case it it's fabulous. I cut most of an almond tree down yesterday - I have higher hopes for that.

Back