Fibonacci gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to make one of these, and wondered where to but the little brass rivets? I've had a look in my local shops but can't seem to find them, I google brass rivets but couldn't find the ones I wanted either. They are about 10 mm long and and have a male and female post any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Hi Mark

I've made a couple of these as gifts.

FibonacciGauge2.jpg

The rivets were simply peined brass rod and brass washers ...

FibonacciGaugerivets1.jpg

Pein one side, cut to length, insert, and pein the open end.

Regards from Perth

Derek

mtr1":1d8v529n said:
So I'm going to make one of these, and wondered where to but the little brass rivets? I've had a look in my local shops but can't seem to find them, I google brass rivets but couldn't find the ones I wanted either. They are about 10 mm long and and have a male and female post any ideas? Thanks in advance :)
As I've never heard of this sort of gauge, what's it for?...just curious - Rob

Thanks Alf, I've ordered brass rod and washers to do it Derek's way but have ordered the rivets anyway. So I will make one for Rob If he pm's me his address, you can have a play then :D

mtr1":xiaqcsrs said:
Thanks Alf, I've ordered brass rod and washers to do it Derek's way but have ordered the rivets anyway. So I will make one for Rob If he pm's me his address, you can have a play then :D
Mark...fantastic :D PM sent - Rob

Harbo":1sjo9ebw said:
Rob - it's for marking out the "Golden Ratio" 1:1.618

Rod
Rod, thanks for that info. I'm aware of the GR and use it a lot in my work, but I didn't know there was a special bit of kit to mark it out...you learns somat every day! :lol: - Rob

And a lot of brass on the floor too, one assumes. What's the market like for brass at the moment? Most metals seem to be through the roof, as I understand it.

Yes for example 3mm diam £1.30 per 300 mm length.
Generally sold at current Market price per Kg.

Rod

You've just got someone completely intrigued in Fibonacci!

Anthony

Someone decided that the Fibonacci Mathematical sequence was useful for working out progressive gambling stakes.

What they didn't consider was it really works best when you pick winners! :D

John :) !

Prototype before I break into the good timber....

DSC01884.jpg

Few things to sort out, the middle pointer is about 3mm short.

bit of fun..

DSC01885.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

I'm going to get some more cutlers rivets, when I make the pair as I didn't get on with the brass bashing.

Back