Fiat V Ferrari

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMALMALEKI":jvtciasb said:
I have now received the Stanley chisels. Not really impressive. Steel feels okay but seems they were used as a screwdriver and can opener.
Back bevel ?!!
Secondary bevel skewed !!!
Chipped edge and corners !!!

Are other people seeing photos? I can't see any.

Benchwayze":3cwgwfvt said:
.......If you can't use it as a pry bar, or a pin hammer, it ain't a real chisel! :lol:

John (hammer)

A friend of mine, a plumber, bought a new set of Ashley Isles bevel edge chisels, complete with a case and edge protector thingies. He had them in his van, but they were heading for his workshop and not meant for site use as he was just getting into woodwork as a hobby. He'd just taken on another young plumber. Anyway, he set this newcomer off doing some preparatory work, which involved drilling and cold-chiseling through some concrete. You can see where this is going. Pummeled by a lump hammer and used as a cold chisel in concrete for half an hour, The AI 3/4 inch bevel edge was a bit of a sight.......

I fixed it for him, and it came up fine, albeit somewhat shorter than it had been.

phil.p":1jdww3sg said:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/stanley-5001s-t118068.html

I've got a set of those. They're my every day bench chisels. I love them. Wish I'd seen the ad, as that 16mm one would have been really handy.

MikeG.":2tg1qx49 said:
SMALMALEKI":2tg1qx49 said:
I have now received the Stanley chisels. Not really impressive. Steel feels okay but seems they were used as a screwdriver and can opener.
Back bevel ?!!
Secondary bevel skewed !!!
Chipped edge and corners !!!

Are other people seeing photos? I can't see any.
I’ll add them here. They will get to better shape and shorter soon.

Attachments

• F541A95C-6DCA-48A1-B3CA-35D765422858.jpeg
    F541A95C-6DCA-48A1-B3CA-35D765422858.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 64
  • D3A1013E-48D5-437D-8D49-049C1A5F1EEC.jpeg
    D3A1013E-48D5-437D-8D49-049C1A5F1EEC.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 64
  • A1239B6F-A031-4AAD-8247-EB07D4EBCA28.jpeg
    A1239B6F-A031-4AAD-8247-EB07D4EBCA28.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 63
  • E28A4BB7-9A9C-487B-A82A-28B5BF539C50.jpeg
    E28A4BB7-9A9C-487B-A82A-28B5BF539C50.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 63
Wow, they really do only need grinding. You had an absolute bargain. Shame on you for dragging Phil's name through the dirt ! You can buy a grinder with the money you've saved by not buying blue spruce chisels. Thanks for posting the photos and clarifying you completely overreacted.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SMALMALEKI":18hgs6gt said:
ScaredyCat":18hgs6gt said:
Buy which ever you want. If you can afford expensive ones without noticing the price, buy them.
On the other hand I value my short life. There is not enough hours in my life to spend with my family and enjoy my hobby and work full time (48 hours a week).
After few failure of cheaper tools I have reached the conclusion to buy a better made tool and spend the restoration time on better things.

In my teens I learned that cheap tools were a very poor idea to buy unless it's a tool that you will use for a single job then never again. So since then I've usually bought quality tools, I've bought the odd cheap tool but it's usually reminded me not to be silly. I have bought the odd used tool but again never rubbish ones.

Now 50 years later I'm still getting good use from tools I bought then. None of my tools have been used professionally but I haven't babied them either.

As you say life is too short for low quality tools and you won't enjoy using them either.

ColeyS1":357w86hv said:
Wow, they really do only need grinding. You had an absolute bargain. Shame on you for dragging Phil's name through the dirt ! You can buy a grinder with the money you've saved by not buying blue spruce chisels. Thanks for posting the photos and clarifying you completely overreacted.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sorry if I have caused upset mate. You might have had wrong impression. I had a higher expectation of Phil as an experienced wood worker. That’s all I posted about. I know they can be sorted.
Although I don’t use electrically powered tools in my workshop but I can use a stone to shorten them.
Thank you for the comments though.

SMALMALEKI":1d9a5253 said:
I had a higher expectation of Phil as an experienced wood worker.

If Phil spent time sharpening every chisel that came into his workshop to perfection I would suspect he wouldn't have any time for actual woodworking :lol: . As he said, he bought them and never used them and they probably spent 40 years in someone else's shed being used for god knows what.

Certainly, if I spent time sharpening all the chisels in my workshop I'd never get anything done! :roll:. I really need to have a chisel cull as I really only use 3 different sets, the rest are all in a drawer and could be put to use by someone else, or they could be bought from me and then stuffed in another drawer again for a few years! :lol:

I have seen phil’s reply. He had described the handles a bit tatty but nothing about the blades.
It’s cool now. I don’t want to drag it. Phil has replied and I know now.

Back