Fiat V Ferrari

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have now received the Stanley chisels. Not really impressive. Steel feels okay but seems they were used as a screwdriver and can opener.
Back bevel ?!!
Secondary bevel skewed !!!
Chipped edge and corners !!!

Nothing a bit of sharpening won't sort out! They look to be in very good condition, I've seen a few with quite heavy pitting which makes using them a little more difficult.

Don't blame the chisels, blame the operator! :lol:

I can go on site with sharp chisels in the morning and come back with them looking worse than that by the end of the day!

SMALMALEKI":23ukngub said:
I agree that sharpening will take care of it. Not a big deal. Just not impressed.

What were you expecting?

I was not impressed as it was not mentioned before. It was from someone who knows his way around the tools ( I assume ). I will get them sorted soon.

I've bought chisels from Phil before. He never mentioned they would be in razor sharp condition and I didn't expect them to be. What I got was good quality steel of sizes i didnt have with nice boxwood handles. Exactly what I was after.
I get the impression he has a few spare lol. Quite possibly he's never even used them.
I'd always expect to regrind and sharpen used edge tools as a matter of fact. You're going to have to do it regularly anyway if you plan on using them....
Maybe stop buying chisels and buy a mechanical sharpener! :wink:

you bought 4 for 20 quid including the postage!!! it is your expectations that are unrealistic, no fault of the seller. A few mins sharpening on each and you will have a decent set of chisels.

I don't really want any more chisels, but I will give you your £20 back if you send them to me so that you don't feel wronged. PM me if you want to do so.

Thank you all for your contributions.
I did not mean to blame anybody here. I just assumed everyone else would keep chisels in a decent condition
Without back bevel , with a square edge and free of chipping.
Perhaps I have a wrong impression of reality.
I did not expect to get razor sharp shiny chisels.
I would like to apologise to phil for reacting here. (hammer)

SMALMALEKI":1uf3ljih said:
I have now received the Stanley chisels. Not really impressive. Steel feels okay but seems they were used as a screwdriver and can opener.
Back bevel ?!!
Secondary bevel skewed !!!
Chipped edge and corners !!!
Part of the enjoyment is doing minimal work on a second hand tool but getting it to work well after. If you're really valuing your time at £50 per hour, in your case I would only ever buy new tools. Steer clear of crapminster stuff aswell as they are well known for letting the customers do the quality control. Any chisel you have will need grinding the more it gets used. I'd expect to grind any second hand chisel just as a matter of course. Probably best to pass the chisels on to someone who appreciates them imho. I imagine there might be several furniture makers who would be willing to work for less than £50 per hour so save yourself the trouble ?? Unless of course you might get a little pleasure from doing something for yourself......

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1
I am cool with it. They will be sorted in no time. I don’t know any use of back bevel in woodworking ( on chisels) so didn’t expect to see on those chisels.
I will send phil a bill as per £50/h. lol just joking
But with regards to Axminster tools. I would definitely keep away from them from now on.
I had two No7 planes both faulty. Just waisted time and effort. Awaiting for the third replacement. We shall see what their best efforts is for avoiding third faulty plane.

I bought a chisel new from Ashley Iles with a massively unsquare edge, which goes to show even the "premium" manufacturers get it wrong. I've got a few chisels, the ones I use are sharp and very usable, the ones I don't are in a drawer and are in all manners of condition. Just because we "know how to work the tools" doesn't mean we have time to work on every tool in the workshop! With very little work (10 minutes on each chisel tops) you will have an excellent set of chisels for £20 and a little bit of your time. You should see the chisels I have to sharpen when they come back from site work, shocking! :shock:

I'd also like to extend the same offer as Marcros, If you ain't happy I'll buy them off you :lol:

It's getting like that TV show Dragon's Den.
I am also interested in your chisels and I'd like to undercut the other Dragons by 25% and offer you £15 for all four chisels. A substantial improvement on their offers I'm sure you will agree.
Failing that I would also be willing to give you one third of the money for 33.3 percent of the four chisels with Marcros and Trevanion. With my experience in revolutionary methods of sharpening (the belt goes round and round) I can offer a substantial amount of sharpening experience to the proposition.

Saeid,

No back bevel on a chisel, absolutely not.

I don't put a back bevel on a plane iron either. To cut down the work of flattening, I just hang the iron over the edge of the stone, so I have only to work on about 1/2an inch. That's plenty, considering the chip breaker needs to be close up to the cutting edge anyway, and any polished surface is not seen until you sharpen again.

I have chisels bought from various sources, some of them still need attention and are in the state in which I received them. I didn't ill treat them, it's just that I haven't got around to fettling them.

You'll find those chisels will serve you well I am thinking. So, you know where I am Saeid, and when I get home and settled, pop over and we can talk turkey. If there's anything I can show you, only too pleased.

I'll even cook us some chips!!! :mrgreen:

John (hammer)

Trevanion":szt4oo7x said:
I bought a chisel new from Ashley Iles with a massively unsquare edge, which goes to show even the "premium" manufacturers get it wrong. I've got a few chisels, the ones I use are sharp and very usable, the ones I don't are in a drawer and are in all manners of condition. Just because we "know how to work the tools" doesn't mean we have time to work on every tool in the workshop! With very little work (10 minutes on each chisel tops) you will have an excellent set of chisels for £20 and a little bit of your time. You should see the chisels I have to sharpen when they come back from site work, shocking! :shock:

I'd also like to extend the same offer as Marcros, If you ain't happy I'll buy them off you :lol:

If you can't use it as a pry bar, or a pin hammer, it ain't a real chisel! :lol:

John (hammer)

Bm101":1qscy79h said:
It's getting like that TV show Dragon's Den.
I am also interested in your chisels and I'd like to undercut the other Dragons by 25% and offer you £15 for all four chisels. A substantial improvement on their offers I'm sure you will agree.
Failing that I would also be willing to give you one third of the money for 33.3 percent of the four chisels with Marcros and Trevanion. With my experience in revolutionary methods of sharpening (the belt goes round and round) I can offer a substantial amount of sharpening experience to the proposition.

Now that there are three generous offer on the table I would like to think for a minute before responding.

Now that I had chance to think. I would like to start with a big thank you to all Dragons. I have a counter offer.
I would be happy to accept £50 per chisel (£200) in return for %15 time share in the chisels. The above time share will be for sharpening time.

Thank you for your interest. lol :D :lol:

I bought a set of the aforementioned Stanley chisels on Ebay after reading Trevanion's post.

As it happens they turned up in good condition and as sharp as a sharp thing.

I haven't used them yet but they seem well balanced. I have some oak that needs some mortices cutting in so I'll see how they hold their edge when I get stuck into that.

I've just got back from Westonbirt Arboretum - a wonderful place - so have only now read this.
I'm sorry if they were not up to expectations, but they had probably been kicking around someone's shed for 40+ years. Like many I've owned I bought them and never used them. I didn't suggest they were perfect, and if had I taken the half hour needed to sort them out perfectly I wouldn't have sold them for £20 inc P&P. If you think you were done there, I strongly advise never buying anything off Ebay. :lol:
Phil.
(Incidentally, thanks everyone else for the comments. :D )

I have been busy sending my son off this week.
Hopefully I’ll get to workshop soon. They will be sorted very soon.
I am cool with it.
Would you have added £50 per hour to the price! lol :D (hammer)

Back