• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FFX 7% off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to watch out with ffx. Theyre a bit like DFS, or Halfords - there's always a sale or voucher code or eBay offer with them.

Other places that have a sale actually have a lower price than normal, but not so much with ffx.

Here we go again so I will repeat my previous comment regarding FFX offers.

That is not my experience. In November 2019 I purchased a Makita LXT 36v DLM431z lawnmower (body only) from them. Price including VAT and delivery was £79. It was an absolute bargain then and power tool world currently sell the replacement for £259

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dlm432z-twin-18v-lxt-cordless-36v-lawn-mower-430mm-body-only

I have also purchased from them a “DeWalt DCF601D2-GB 12V 2 x 2Ah XR Brushless Sub Compact Screwdriver” for my son. I would have searched extensively at the time for the best price.

Their prices include delivery so I have used them for small items like individual drill bits, dustpan etc. For example 2 number 15mm flat wood bits, £2.08 including Vat and delivery, most places would charge twice that just to deliver.

I am sure you can find examples of them charging 7% more than other suppliers but that would apply to virtually every other supplier. The other issue is that at the moment with prices rocketing upwards, prices can depend on when the supplier purchased the item.

I have found them in the past to be a reliable supplier and competitively priced. It may be that at the moment on some items that is not the case, but I posted the offer based on my previous experience, as given above.

They often participate in those 10% eBay sales too.

If you keep an eye on the price of their eBay listings, the price of them always goes up just before the 10% sale.

This is, in normal sales, an illegal practice, but I guess the fact that eBay's involved creates a loop hole.

I'm not saying they are never the cheapest. I'm just saying that their sales are often not all that they initially appear.

Note- the fact that it's come up before (not from me) implies that someone else may have noticed this too...

If you keep an eye on the price of their eBay listings, the price of them always goes up just before the 10% sale.

This is, in normal sales, an illegal practice, but I guess the fact that eBay's involved creates a loop hole.

I'm not saying they are never the cheapest. I'm just saying that their sales are often not all that they initially appear.

Note- the fact that it's come up before (not from me) implies that someone else may have noticed this too...
Yes you have to be careful 👍

I was looking for a 20mm conduit former on ebay and a second hand one is about £28 + postage. While looking for the price of conduit on my local electrical suppliers website I thought I would just see what they may be selling them for and it is £24.

I have noticed a number of times that retailers can be more expensive on purchases through eBay rather than their normal website. And I may have seen this with FFX. In my opinion it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, seeing as they have to pay ebay fees.

Just checked a Makita mains plunge saw. FFX prices, eBay £299, website £279 with the extra 7% to come off. Quick look and the cheapest I could find was £274 so FFX are the cheapest with this discount.

I have noticed a number of times that retailers can be more expensive on purchases through eBay rather than their normal website. And I may have seen this with FFX. In my opinion it is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, seeing as they have to pay ebay fees.

Just checked a Makita mains plunge saw. FFX prices, eBay £299, website £279 with the extra 7% to come off. Quick look and the cheapest I could find was £274 so FFX are the cheapest with this discount.
Just checked powetoolworld. Same saw, eBay £295 (16 sold), website £274. As before, perfectly reasonable, they have eBay fees to pay.

It is on eBay so it must be cheap!

I recently bought a Metabo site saw from FFX.

I checked around for prices and they were cheapest.

While I was deliberating I received email from a well known online auction site for a £50 reduction on said saw.

I investigated and it was FFX, so jumped all over it.

£50 less than the already cheapest price available and to boot delivered it to N Ireland for the same price as GB, which while not important to most on here is a significant saving for those of us fortunate enough to live in Norn Iron.

It is a loophole because the 10% is not technically FFX saying price was x now y - it is a discount arranged effectively through ebay - so it circumvents the law...
As with anything though, do research before buying - I rarely buy from FFX as I can usually find the item cheaper elsewhere - I also don't particularly like their website which doesn't always bring items back even when they have them for sale... however I bought recently some Sealey storage units for the workshop and they were cheaper there than elsewhere, so it does depend...

It is a loophole because the 10% is not technically FFX saying price was x now y - it is a discount arranged effectively through ebay - so it circumvents the law...
Interesting point, but my original post related to 7% off their website prices and no one has suggested that these prices were raised prior to making the offer.

Really this discussion about FFX eBay pricing policy is not relevant to my original post.

Interesting point, but my original post related to 7% off their website prices and no one has suggested that these prices were raised prior to making the offer.

Really this discussion about FFX eBay pricing policy is not relevant to my original post.
true - but not sure forums work like that where the OP controls how people respond ;)
a subject is introduced, and then batted about randomly by a bunch of down-at-heel miscreants until it is so off topic that the OP has given up and run screaming to the library forsaking all computers :D
I think that all that is being said is be cautious about how offers present, it is not always as it seems underneath!

a subject is introduced, and then batted about randomly by a bunch of down-at-heel miscreants until it is so off topic that
Very true but in this case I posted a genuine website offer from a supplier who I have found to be good and reliable which I thought may be of interest to some members. The suggestion was that FFX get up to dodgy practices by increasing prices before introducing offers, not something which I had noticed on their website. It then transpired that these comments related to their ebay shop.

The point I was trying to make was that what ffx may or may not get up to on their eBay shop does not detract from the offer I posted which related to their website.

Back