Fettling a Qiangsheng Low Angle Apron Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I received the above plane as a Christmas pressie. The sole is pretty flat but it has an adjustable front mouth section which seems to sit at different levels depending on where I position it (both above and below the level of the rest of the sole). If it was always sitting proud of the rest of the sole I would be on safe ground with my limited knowledge but I thought I would ask for comments on here first before I get the wet and dry sandpaper out. My initial thought is to set the mouth so that it is quite closed but sitting slightly proud of the sole and flatten from there. Or should I flatten the moulding in the body of the plane where the mouth plate sits and then flatten the whole sole of the plane to that level? Seems a lot more work.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Oh, and Happy New Year when it comes.

H.

Definitely a reject :evil:
No good to man nor beast :shock: :roll:
Sad thing is that it takes the customer to find the faults #-o

Andy

It is unfortunate as I have a perfectly flat Qiangsheng Rebating Block Plane and know that they make good tools.

I would send it back if I received it as you described.

I'd send it back too, I've bought a few QS block planes recently, a couple from Rutlands and one from WH, and they were all perfect straight out of the box, it shouldn't need any attention other than fine honing of the blade.

Sounds like there is something inoperable going on there H. If it is sitting too low in some positions and too high in others, you'll never get it right no matter how much fettling you are prepared to do.
Sounds like the inside seating has been milled askew.

Thanks for all the advice, and it being unanimous! I'll see what Rutlands have to say and whether my father-in law still has the receipt/e-mail!

Please report back.

Rutlands do get a bit of stick for their customer relations, although I have never had a problem personally, so your experience will prove very informative when I am deciding to order things in the future.

Good luck.

Mick

I had to return an item to Rutlands a couple of weeks back, nothing really wrong with it, I just didn't like it! Within a couple of days I had a phone call from them to ask for my card details so they could give me a full refund, no problems, and they were keen to hear my comments on the product. You shouldn't have any problem returning the plane to them, especially if all you want is a replacement.

MickCheese":3tvp7g8e said:
Please report back.
Rutlands do get a bit of stick for their customer relations, although I have never had a problem personally, so your experience will prove very informative when I am deciding to order things in the future.
Good luck.
Mick

The only time I had to return/change something Rutlands they were very helpful and dealt with it promptly.

Ive never had a problem with rutlands. Perhaps what they need to do is to get the MD to invite woodbloke over to arrange a little hospitality and they will be the best thing since sliced bread :lol:

cheers

Jon

JonnyD":1fgk1h5u said:
Ive never had a problem with rutlands. Perhaps what they need to do is to get the MD to invite woodbloke over to arrange a little hospitality and they will be the best thing since sliced bread :lol:

cheers

Jon
:lol: :lol: but I never use Rutlands for anything. I go straight to Ax, WH or CHT, but not necessarily in that order - Rob

Hi All,
I'd heard a few stories about being ultra careful with QS tools as they are very prone to rust problems. Anyone got any experience? or was this a problem with the first few releases?
I'm assuming usual rust precautions taken, ie Camellia oil, rustpoof paper, box storage etc...
Great to hear any views...

SteveB43":1uvy8vzi said:
Hi All,
I'd heard a few stories about being ultra careful with QS tools as they are very prone to rust problems. Anyone got any experience? or was this a problem with the first few releases?
I'm assuming usual rust precautions taken, ie Camellia oil, rustpoof paper, box storage etc...
Great to hear any views...
No problems here with QS tools, but you might have 'rusty finger syndrome' if you're experiencing problems - Rob

Just thought I would let you all know that Rutlands have been very good at replacing the plane. They had obviously opened up the replacement to check it was ok before sending it out. It will need a little work. One side of the adjustable mouth is a smidge high but it is now consistent across all positions and the back of the mouth is not 100% square but that will only need a little careful filing and I might leave it depending on how the plane performs. I am not too concerned about this as QS is less than half the price of a Veritas or LN. If I show any level of skill or tenacity for this hobby (and I hope to have at least one of the two!) then it will give me something to "upgrade" to in the future!

H.

haha, very good, just the image of a sweaty paw trying to push a blunt plane over wild grained wood....

My workspace is in a cellar, which is fairly dry, but just feel everything has to be triple wrapped and boxed away to prevent rust..., probaly over cautious...

Back