Festoool Kapex or Bosch Axial Glide?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
In the market for a mitre saw. Had been looking at the Bosch and Festool models. Any thoughts? Bosch is £165 cheaper and has bigger capacities. Festool lighter and better dx.

Cheers

Karl

If you need to cart it around a lot, or work in people's homes where the better dx is a benefit, then Kapex. If not, then the Bosch is a good option- big old lump though, so best left static ihmo.
HTH Pete

The only thing worse than spending more than you need is spending less than you should have...
www.petermillard.com
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had my Kapex 7 years now Karl & never regretted spending the extra money, aside from what has been said the angle finder that comes with it s a real boon.
I recently fitted some 10" high skirting in an old Victorian house, 10 external corners not one spot on 90 degrees, that angle finder was worth its money just on that job alone.

Hope you're keeping well mate

Also have the kapex. Its the best mitre saw ive ever used. Havent used the bosch.. The big thing for me was dust collection you cant put a price on your health and the bosch has poor dust collection

With the kapex you need the 36mm hose. It makes a huge difference

Cheers guys. From what i've been reading, the Bosch is good, but the Kapex is just better.

Peter - Although predominantly for a workshop set up, it will definitely be going out on site too.

Doug - Doing well, cheers mate. Saw the skirting on IG - Kapex looks the biz.

Alex - is this a special (read £££££££) Festool hose? I think my standard extractor hose is 32mm.

Cheers

Karl

I looked at both earlier this year and ended up with the Kapex, if you contact festool directly they can arrange for one thier reps to come to you and do a complete demo, that was the clincher for me, being able to actually use the machine properly before purchase was great.
Regarding dust control, I've used 50mm garden pond hose and some flexi hose couplings when connected to my Dust extractor work perfectly, all sourced very cheaply online and local aquatic store

Hook mine up to me dad's old Henry vac using hepa filter bags, works a treat, might not have auto switching but I can get 10+ Henry bags for the price of one Fessey bag, it's surprising how good the extraction is from the Kapex & how quick those bags fill up.

Looking at getting an auto switch for the Henry.

Doug B":1sgx0g9c said:
Hook mine up to me dad's old Henry vac using hepa filter bags, works a treat, might not have auto switching but I can get 10+ Henry bags for the price of one Fessey bag, it's surprising how good the extraction is from the Kapex & how quick those bags fill up.

I bought one of these which does the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Energy-Sa ... xyJ59RHQuB

RobinBHM":1jryr50i said:
Doug B":1jryr50i said:

I bought one of these which does the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Energy-Sa ... xyJ59RHQuB

I'm afraid that would be rather overloaded with the Kapex if the maximum of the master socket is 500w the one I'm looking at at the moment will handle 2900w combined.

Anybody any experience of the stand/support kits you can get them with?

DiscoStu":32mnb7m2 said:
There's a good video here:

https://youtu.be/-tSuMrwrhkU

Be aware that although he's comparing both machines they are very different in price in his comparisons to our prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the wheeled trolley Festool Kapex stand a few times and to be honest I spent longer scratching my head trying to figure how it all went back together complete with the fences rather than actually getting on with the job! I'm sure if you used it regularly you'd get slicker, but it did strike me as a solution in search of a problem. The Kapex is pretty light, so you can carry it a decent distance without it becoming a burden. Personally I'd be more likely to go for the Kapex MFT table or a user made folding stand rather than the wheeled trolley for site work.

I've got the UK stand kapex as I'm restoring a water mill and occasionally I need to cart it into a room when I'm fitting it out.the stand is great as I don't have to be on the floor balancing bits of long timber and the dust extraction is excellent. Maybe the MFT option would be useful but I do like the fact I can wheel it around in one hand and have the wings in the other. Would I buy a Dewalt or Bosh over it? No I love the Kapex it's well worth the money

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I had a good look in Axminster today. Kapex looked great, but I was also impressed with the Bosch. And the DeWalt 780. And the Bosch GCM 12sde (HUGE capacities, and cheapest of all at £480). The Makita 12" by contrast was appalling. So much slop in the slider.

So i'm a little undecided. Not sure I can see the extra £400 for the Kapex, as great as it was.

Cheers

Karl

If it helps, I don't know if anyone (myself included) who bought a Kapex and regretted it... But yeah, big chunk o' change...

I've got a Makita 1013 I've had years that I use for most things. Then nearly 3 years ago I bought the full ug kapex set up.

It's a great saw. I've got a shortened 36mm hose that goes straight in my midi vac. It's not dust free but still the best extraction I've had on any saw.

The ug stand is good too. It's easy to get in and out of the van on my own and sets up very quick. The wings are dead accurate once calibrated. I've batch cut stuff using the stops and its all exactly the same size.

Used mine in a tight hallway the other day with no problems

ab0ddac41999bd0a76e2db3f30880e6c.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back