Festool vs. Bosch??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter T

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new SCMS. It will be used for hobby/DIY, but I don't mind spending a chunk of money for something that's good quality, accurate, and will last a long time.

Now that discounts are are starting to appear on Festool stuff, the price for a Kapex KS120 is almost the same as the Bosch GCM 12 GDL.

I've seen the Kapex in Axminster but not the Bosch. Anyone got any sugestions as to which is the better unit?

Hi

I have seen the Bosch GCM 12 GDL. at Axminsters in Kent and was impressed with it Also the Festool, I assume you have seen the youtube videos on that saw 8)

The Bosch has seald for life bearings on the glide , the Festool has what I think are called liner bearings , The Bosch was smother in operation , push / pull than the Festool

not used either , but if I was going to buy one I think it would be the Bosch

I have other Bosch products that have given good service and still are

If you have Green and Gray fever :mrgreen: all hope is lost :lol: :lol:

Blister":2uzds4q5 said:
Hi

I have seen the Bosch GCM 12 GDL. at Axminsters in Kent and was impressed with it Also the Festool, I assume you have seen the youtube videos on that saw 8)

The Bosch has seald for life bearings on the glide , the Festool has what I think are called liner bearings , The Bosch was smother in operation , push / pull than the Festool

not used either , but if I was going to buy one I think it would be the Bosch

I have other Bosch products that have given good service and still are

If you have Green and Gray fever :mrgreen: all hope is lost :lol: :lol:

I must admit, when i saw the discounted price of the Kapex, I was sorely tempted! Then I saw the Bosch and thought "Wow, that's inovative!" so now I'm torn between the two.

I've seen a couple of comments about the Kapex saying the handle/operating position is uncomfortable. I guess this depends on height of the work surface. It seemed OK when I tried it at Axi on a bench.

I noticed in the videos of the Bosch that there was a lot of sawdust on the base during operation, indicating that the extract may not be good.

Decisions, decisions.........

Do you have to move it around, is portability an issue? The Kapex is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter compared to the Bosch, even the Bosch GCM10SD is much heavier and the new 12 inch thing is a mammoth (and expensive, too).

JanneKi":1dt55kpw said:
Do you have to move it around, is portability an issue? The Kapex is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter compared to the Bosch, even the Bosch GCM10SD is much heavier and the new 12 inch thing is a mammoth (and expensive, too).

It will get moved around but it's not a big deal. I'm only doing hobby/DIY stuff so it's not like I will be humping it around every day!

I keep checking Axi for a display model so I can try the Bosch. I won't buy unless I've "used" it.

I can't speak for the Bosch, but I can for the Kapex.

I've had my Kapex 120 now for 5 years (when it was first introduced) and what a machine. The dust extraction is excellent, I run mine with a Festool mini and 27mm hose, I'm told that a 36mm hose will even do better.

Like you WW is my hobby, but `i still like to buy quality gear that will last a lifetime. Now is it worth the price, only you can answer that on.

If you want more info and advice on the Kapex you can always go onto the Festool Owners Group website.

Good luck in your purchase.

Waka":9uv2qgfx said:
I can't speak for the Bosch, but I can for the Kapex.

I've had my Kapex 120 now for 5 years (when it was first introduced) and what a machine. The dust extraction is excellent, I run mine with a Festool mini and 27mm hose, I'm told that a 36mm hose will even do better.

Like you WW is my hobby, but `i still like to buy quality gear that will last a lifetime. Now is it worth the price, only you can answer that on.

If you want more info and advice on the Kapex you can always go onto the Festool Owners Group website.

Good luck in your purchase.

Hi Waka, thanks for that.

My attitude to tool buying is the same as yours. Buy high quality tools that, hopefully, will last forever. At the moment I'm tending towards the Kapex but I still haven't got my hands on the Bosch so this could change!

Cheers,

Finally got my hands on the Bosch.

The glide mechanism is very good, smooth, very little effort to move, handle is good as well.

BUT, that's where the excellence stops! The tilt mechanism is very average, no better than the first mitre saw I bought from one of the sheds for about £75. Compared to the Festool it's a joke, no counter-balance, no fine adjustment, scale is just raised numbers and marks on the casting with a bit of bent metal for a pointer.

Anyway, since the Festool prices have dropped and Axi has a 10% discount today and tomorrow, I just bought a Kapex 120 for £880.

Well pleased,

Back