Festool TS 55 R Plunge Saw - WOW !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickorystick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
One of my recent purchases from Harrogate was the Festool TS 55 saw.
Just had a proper chance to try it out over the holidays and all I can say is Wow !
Repeatable accuracy is what I wanted and that's what I got. Just sliced up some 18mm board for shelves using the guide rail and the cuts look like they have been sanded and not a chipped edge in sight - very impressed.
It is very intuitive to use and is definately the best saw I've ever used..
Very pleased ! :D

Looking forward to having the bench ready to try out my Kapex now...

If you go onto the TS55 page on the Festool website there is a PDF version of the manual you can download.
Give me a shout if you have a problem and I can email it for you..
Cheers...

Yes, I think it's probably the best power tool I've ever bought.
Now comes the difficult part ... stopping yourself from buying more Festool stuff off the back of it :D

t0ne":38jnjrhu said:
Now comes the difficult part ... stopping yourself from buying more Festool stuff off the back of it :D

Down the slippery slope we go, we'll all see you at the bottom :lol: :lol:

Waka":2yd2eizs said:
t0ne":2yd2eizs said:

Down the slippery slope we go, we'll all see you at the bottom :lol: :lol:

Oops - its too late Im afraid - I bought the Kapex Mitre Saw and the 1400 Router and extraction at the same time !
Not on a whim though - Ive been a big Makita user for a long time and also some DeWalt but after a lot of research I decided I wanted the quality that Festool are famous for so bit the bullet !
All I can say is so far so good ! :)

It started with a Domino for me, but grew to a TS55 at Christmas, and I have to say its a dream.

Next will be a router - can't decide between the 1010 and the 1400 as I have one for my table.

I think I might also partake of a CXS and possibly a vac at some point

DiscoStu":olp8cu2b said:
It started with a Domino for me, but grew to a TS55 at Christmas, and I have to say its a dream.

Next will be a router - can't decide between the 1010 and the 1400 as I have one for my table.

I would say I use the 1010 far more than the 1400, the 1400 is a little top heavy and takes some getting used whereas the 1010 can be used with the rods and guide rail to extend it's base - if that makes sense.

DiscoStu":2sf0qqxx said:

How do you find the Domino ?
I've been checking the reviews on YouTube and it looks the dogs danglies !
Are you the one who makes the MFT type table tops ?

You want Stu2 for the MFT tops. I'll be ordering one myself when I finally pull my finger out and sort out my new bench. I love the Domino! It is fantastic. It's so accurate and easy to use. Like all things in this word working malarky there are different way and it depends on what you want. Some people want to know that they've made all the M&T joints using hand saws and planes others are happy to speed the process up with a domino. I'm definitely more of the later. This is a hobby for me but I'm short on time and I maybe only get a few hours a week in the workshop, I cannot afford to spend it making one nice M&T joint. Projects would never happen. However if I was retired and spent lots of time out there then I might be more inclined to take a more manual approach. Anyway the domino is an excellent bit of kit and was one of the first things I bought. I use it a lot for furniture, drawers and MDF units.

Is that the cordless version or the 240v?

I was a big user of other power tool brands like Makita, Dewalt and Bosch before I finally bit the bullet and got the Kapex from Slingers1858. After that it was a slippery slope and even today I am expecting some festool deliveries (I'll be contacting slingers again for another fix today too). In my defence though someone on the FestoolOwnersGroup did tell me that the best way to use festool is to go all in with the system - it's designed to all go together.

There are a lot of other good power tools and brands out there (plus they have improved with their customer service and warranties) but the Festool community is very active and supportive so if you do have issues you will probably get a lot of support. That helps a lot when you are buying expensive tools and can't afford anything to go wrong.

The dealers are really good guys too, I'm sure there are others but Peter at Slingers, Warren at Toolfest and Charlie (i think) and Nuts&Bolts are all really top guys - very helpful and honest.

I did really like Bosch and all my routers, jigsaws and FSN kit are bosch but they don't really do much in the way of dealer support and advice. I remember going to the FFX show last year and even talking to Bosch representatives about the FSN OFA kit and they knew nothing about it and weren't as informed about all the products.

mine is 240v.
When I've been fitting out my workshop I deliberately wired in a double socket into the ceiling above where my assembly work bench is so the cable is straight up rather than trailing and getting in the way. I can now leave the cable plugged in and change tools as required - or at least my Festool Saw and Router ! 8)

Back