• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Festool TKS 80

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Chip shop

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone? I have been away from the forums for a bit, but was considering one as a site saw and was expecting you lot to be all over it with good/bad/indifferent (tick as appropriate), but there's virtually nothing. Not much more on FOG either! I'd have thought the Festool Sawstop thing would have provoked some reaction. Has anyone got one? Is it OK/carp/brilliant/Sawstop eat my children/Festool evil buy old Record/Stanley instead?

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I think one of the problems is that it's meant to be a site saw yet it's only available in 240v which doesn't make much sense for us in the UK.

The basic model is £1,500+ and you don't really get much for your money apart from the Saw Stop feature which is obviously a plus but I do like to think we are a bit more sensible with our table saws here in the UK than America so it's not as much of a selling point.

I guess the other thing is if you were using it on site it only takes someone to put a piece of wet timber through and it can fire leaving you out of action until you get a new blade and cartridge and £150 out of pocket.

The full kit is £2,500+, if I was looking at spending that kind of money on a portable saw I would probably be looking at the Mafell Erika instead.

Chip shop

Established Member
Reaction score
I think one of the problems is that it's meant to be a site saw yet it's only available in 240v which doesn't make much sense for us in the UK.

The basic model is £1,500+ and you don't really get much for your money apart from the Saw Stop feature which is obviously a plus but I do like to think we are a bit more sensible with our table saws here in the UK than America so it's not as much of a selling point.

I guess the other thing is if you were using it on site it only takes someone to put a piece of wet timber through and it can fire leaving you out of action until you get a new blade and cartridge and £150 out of pocket.

The full kit is £2,500+, if I was looking at spending that kind of money on a portable saw I would probably be looking at the Mafell Erika instead.
All fair points, cheers. I'm still a little surprised there hasn't been more made of them (good or bad) though.

greendolphin

Reaction score
I wish they would have just sold the US version here in the UK.
I had one on a project in Los Angeles a few years ago and it is fantastic.
It is $1599 - £1450 w/ v.a.t.
The fence is great.
The festool fences are solid when in place but a drag to move around - cumbersome and slow
Having to turn something is much slower than a traditional fence mechanism.

That being said, I will probably get the TKS 80 to replace a cms w/ TS 55 in a tiny shop.
The quality/portability combination is hard to beat.
Not enough room for a proper table saw.

Be well

Jack

BHwoodworking

contact me for bespoke high end firewood!
Reaction score
i'll be getting one, when i finally build myself a decent sized workshop. not allowed a ts..... due to a miter saw incident?!?!?!?

oh well. i'll get myself a tsc to keep my festool withdrawal symptoms under for now..... then a ctm midi. then a ets 125, then a T18+3 then a df500, then a nother then blar blar blar.

sorry i digress. but yes i agree with the OP. i am finding it really hard to get much info on it, most important bit of info i am missing is the size with all the gubbins attached.

Nelsun

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're really humming and hawing over it, Festool are doing one-to-one demos via video link. Just go to their site and it'll nag you to book a demo... whatever you try and do.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score

I agree entirely with this statement.
I have been looking for an Erika 85 at a decent price for ages since I saw one at a trade show , hard to find but a great saw.
I also think if you don't need to move it you can find a good deal on proper euro style table saw with a sliding table for that money.

Ollie