Festool SawStop in action

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seams to be the exact blade brake as on the SawStop machines over here including the locking pin that holds it in the saw and works the same way. The saw itself in my opinion needs mitre slots unless there is some other way that Festool has it setup for crosscutting. The saws here have a guard that floats on the table so it is covered at any height unless that one is locked up for the demo.

Some of you will despise them on principal and some will be grateful to have the added protection. Nature of the beast.

Pete

Thanks for the UK vid - they had this on demo at Ligna last month too

I still give the prize for best (bravest?) demo clip I've seen to Felder & their PCS system

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=857046994655619

Cue 10 pages of discussion on pushsticks again ;)

inspector":2t9v6yiw said:
Seams to be the exact blade brake as on the SawStop machines over here including the locking pin that holds it in the saw and works the same way
Yes Festool bought Sawstop for rumoured $100 mil

Brilliant tech. I hope the price comes down over the years, so that everyone can benefit from the safety.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nick I'm aware of the ownership change. I was just surprised to see they didn't make any changes to the brake itself. Not even cosmetically making it green instead of the blue they have always been. Here is a pic of one of my spare brakes.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpg
    IMG_4254.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 275
It is still a prototype at this stage. Maybe the final product will be different.

sammy.se":18npcdac said:
Brilliant tech. I hope the price comes down over the years, so that everyone can benefit from the safety.

:D :D it's Festool, prices are only going to go one way :D :D

tony_s":1jkduflu said:
sammy.se":1jkduflu said:

:D :D it's Festool, prices are only going to go one way :D :D
Sadly, true.

Inspector":tibsp74l said:
...The saw itself in my opinion needs mitre slots unless there is some other way that Festool has it setup for crosscutting...
The CMS has a sliding table attachment which can take a mitre gauge and I'd imagine this will have similar. Festool do like the modular approach. And to sell accessories for a pretty penny too.

Video made me cringe. He was being super careful as his finger approached the blade. They system is clearly good but I suspect we will see its use also facilitating unsafe practices.

Bodgers":1ill4zl2 said:
Alcohol and power tools, what could possibly go wrong?
Dunno... maybe ask this guy? Not sure that he ever drunk on the tools; it was a long time ago.

D3VZJ7IXkAMLqdq.jpg

Do you reckon the main deterrent for putting your finger in the blade when you’ve got a sawstop is the fact you’ll have to spend a small fortune on a new cartridge and blade? :lol:

I imagine in a decade or so this form of technology will be mandatory on newly manufactured saws. Although it seems table saw injuries aren’t as frequent as they used to, I wonder if a lot of it is to do with the fact that saw blade technology has come a long way with anti-kickback blades, TCT blades and far more rigid saw plates, as well as most industrial workshops tend to have panel saws rather than the classic style ripsaw, which are used almost exclusively for panel work and light ripping of preplaned pieces where control of the workpiece is easy IE large panel surface on an outrigger to hold onto. All rough timber ripping tends to be done with bandsaws now, I’ve definitely not put a rough piece of timber through a TS for years.

Trevanion":1tcjvyyl said:
Do you reckon the main deterrent for putting your finger in the blade when you’ve got a sawstop is the fact you’ll have to spend a small fortune on a new cartridge and blade? :lol:

In the States they'll replace the cartridge free if in their opinion it really was a finger that caused it to trigger. Not sure how they can tell the difference between a finger and a hotdog after the event.
https://www.sawstop.com/support/report-a-save/

The brake has a computer chip in it that you send to SawStop. They analyze the information on the chip and it tells them why it went off so they know if you touched the blade, wet pressure treated wood, your mitre gauge fence or something else happened. If it was your flesh they send you a new brake cartridge. Hopefully it is obvious that if you set off a brake by something other than your finger you don't send it in.

If you aren't sure if the material will set off the brake or if you want to test the detection system before the saw is running you touch the blade. A little light will flash if the brake would be set off.

Pete

Back