Festool question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim4321

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. In a bit of a predicament that I hope someone could help me out with.

was strolling round Costco today and as usual went to see if there were any new toys in the tool section and noticed they had the Festool TS 55 Q Plus circular saw for £281 inc VAT :shock: . now this seems to me to be very reasonable.

I had come to the conclusion a couple of days ago that I would wait a few months to save up for a Festool. But now i dont know what to do, because deals at Costco don't hang around for ever.

So what i'm really asking is.
1. Does anyone have an opinion of this particular model?
2. Would i be better sticking to my original plan waiting for a bit and getting the model that they stock at Axminster (the TS55EBQ which i gather has one or two more features and a few people on this forum have gone for.
3. I would like the 1400 guide and would like to know where the cheapest place to buy this on its own would be.

Thanks a lot

Jim

Hi Jim

No replies so for my two-pennorth the question I'd be asking myself and the forum are whether variable speed is needed and if so what for. Seems to me that that is the main difference between models.

Roger

I don't know if the model you quote has trhe electric braking or not. Mine does, and I would not be without it. The variable speed is, in my opinion, completely unnecessary
John

If there's a choice of electric braking - please go for it (e.g. the TS55EBQ). I have a Hitachi 7BU with braking, It's such a good feature on any saw however, as with John, variable speed is pointless.

Ike

Pointless for woodwork, that is. Festool pretty much state that the lower speeds are for aluminium and (especially) plastics.

Thanks for the replies guys. the one in costco, im pretty sure it doesn't have the electric brake.

It looks like i wait a bit and get the better saw for a little bit extra. If your gonna spend that much on a saw whats £20 or so for a significantly better tool.

thanks again

jim

The model at Costco does not have an electronic brake or speed control. You can buy it from any Festool reseller, as I am in the process of adding their products to those I already sell I contacted my Festool sales person to better understand the differences.

The Costco price is no sweet deal just actually above the normal price by a £ or 2.

In my demostration toolkit I will have the electronic control version, reason being you get better motor control, less likelyhood of burning out the motor if it stalled and longer bearing life. For a few pounds more than the non-electronic I feel it is well worth it.

I decided to investigate adding the Festool range to my company's product line up because whenever I speak to any of my customers who earn their living from the tools and where they own Festool kit then without exception they all tell me it is their first choice. Brand loyalty comes because of production quality and design not price.

If you shop around you can get 20% off the Festool list prices. You will probably get your local Festool dealer to match or beat the Costco price, and you will get more backup - Festool choose their dealers carefully for that reason. The one in Costco is the basic model - no brake and no guiderail.

Back