Festool QF1400, is it worth getting?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryClift

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post - so hopefully I'm getting it in the correct place :) Also hope my signature linking to my blog is ok? I read the forum rules and wasn't sure if I had to seek approval to link or whether it was approved or otherwise after use :? Anyway, my reason for this initial post is some advice about hand routers:

I tend to use Festool products and have been looking at their QF1400 hand router, does anyone use one and what's your take on it - is it worth the premium? I'm open to alternative brands if anyone has a suggestion of something better.

Thanks in advance,

Henry

Hi and Welcome!

I think you will find though that the Festool router plugs into the mains not the hand! :wink:

I think a moderator will be along soon to move your thread to the correct forum...where you will find power mad woodies to help you!

Jimi

Do you mean the OF1400? or have they brought out a new model?

I used to have one and thought it was very good. I sold it when I left woodworking for a while, and haven't needed to get another one since I returned, but even if I did need one I would hesitate to pay that kind of money, despite the fact that I have 2 of their plunge saws and the Domino machine.

HenryClift":25zacdrd said:
Hi, this is my first post - so hopefully I'm getting it in the correct place :) Also hope my signature linking to my blog is ok? I read the forum rules and wasn't sure if I had to seek approval to link or whether it was approved or otherwise after use :? Anyway, my reason for this initial post is some advice about hand routers:

I tend to use Festool products and have been looking at their QF1400 hand router, does anyone use one and what's your take on it - is it worth the premium? I'm open to alternative brands if anyone has a suggestion of something better.

Thanks in advance,

Henry
I've got one (OF1400) and would replace it if it died. As you already have some of the system it's a good choice. Only you and your pocket can decide.

I have the OF1400 and whilst i think there's other routers which does the same job just as well, i think Festool has the edge when it comes to dust extraction and system approach. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that i can use my Festool rails for the TS55 and then for the OF1400 for instance.

In the end, only you can judge if it's worth the extra for you. It is for me.

Absolutely worth the money! I've had mine about 2 months and I spent so long researching what to buy and worrying about wasting my money and after about 5 minutes use I knew it was worth the price difference. Although it doesnt do anything most 1/2" routers can't in my experience it makes most jobs easier and safer just by being nicer to use. It's also quieter and smaller than the equivalent dewalt or makita.
Loo

Back